The Library has an extensive collection of books and materials that relate to Livingston County history. Historic newspapers are available on microfilm as well as some census information. These resources are also available online and are searchable there. The George W. Somerville Room contains materials not only related to Livingston County history, but also records from other counties. The Library has for sale a publication called, “Getting Started In Genealogy” that has some tips and worksheets to assist with gathering information.
These two sites offer access to many others…
- Cyndi’s List – Cyndi Howells has brought together every possible site of interest to genealogists.
- UsGenWeb Project – An easy-to-use quick way to orient yourself to resources available for a given state, county, or city. It does not include the resources themselves.
FORMS and Basic Search Information…
- GenealogySearch.org – Everything you need for genealogical research online including free software links, forms and charts.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri– Citizens, officials and students interested in Missouri history, biography and genealogy find in the society library unsurpassed reference collections. The library of books, pamphlets and official state publications total more than 460,000 items. There are also more than 500,000 manuscript items and 800 reels of microfilmed manuscripts, more than 150,000 state archival records, and more than 2,900 maps.
- National Archives and Records Administration, Genealogy Page – This outstanding site is packed with genealogical tips, guides, and practical information for obtaining federal records as well as indexes like the Index to all Veterans Who Died in the Korean War.
- Missouri Digital Heritage – Missouri Secretary of State has made Missouri birth and death records available online through the Missouri Digital Heritage.
- Sanborn maps – The Sanborn fire insurance maps for Livingston County include the years 1885, 1890, 1896, 1901, 1909, and 1916. The 1927 edition is available for viewing at the Livingston County Library’s Somerville Room.
- Chronicling America – Search America’s historic newspapers from 1777-1963. This also includes information about newspapers published from 1690-present. .
- Missouri State Archives serves as a repository of State records of permanent historical value.
- Green Hills – This site houses a variety of historical information for Livingston, Caldwell, and Daviess Counties. Green Hills Pioneers has over 53,000 family names.