|Other County Histories | Civil War | 1886 | 1913 Vol. 1 | 1916 | Depression | 100 Years ||
Livingston County History
Celebrating 150 Years, 1821-1981
Published by The Retired Senior Volunteer Program
The pleasant little village of Avalon is situated on the southeast quarter of section 14, about 2 miles east of the center of the main portion of Fairview Twp. It was established and laid out by David Carpenter, Nov. 12, 1869.
The town was entered by Wesley Scott, Aug. 8, 1845, who came to Missouri from Jefferson County, Ohio in 1841. At first, he located in the bottoms, but the location was unhealthy, and he built a log cabin where the town of Avalon now stands, which long bore the name of Scott’s Mound. He died in 1852 and in 1869, his widow sold the land to David Carpenter, who, as stated before, laid out the town.
In 1845, the country all about Scott’s Mound was unpeopled and virgin. Herds of deer bounded over the prairie and wolves came out to howl and prowl.
The nearest schoolhouses were at Fairland, three miles east and “Crow Point” the same distance northwestward.
Avalon, somewhat like its ancient namesake in France, stands on the considerable eminence before noted. It commands a view of the surrounding country for 10 or 15 miles, and, in a clear atmosphere, for a greater distance.
In 1869, the Avalon Academy was founded. In June, 1881, it was advanced to a college and remained as such until approximately 1910. For quite a period of time, the college was used as the Presbyterian Church but was sold in 1964 to Paul Barnhart, who converted it into a home, where his widow now lives. The Avalon grade school and high school was a large frame building, located in the center of town. School was held there until schools were reorganized and the larger Tina-Avalon District was formed with the school on highway 65 south of Avalon in Carroll County.
Long time businesses in Avalon were Finks’ General Store and Shields Hardware. June Johnson ran a grocery store and locker until the building was destroyed by fire. At one time there was an Avalon Bank.
At the present time there is the U.S. Post Office with Mrs. Frances Mitchell postmistress, a restaurant operated by Calvin Lawson, and a machine shop operated by Donald Deardorff. The Avalon and Wheeling Telephone Company owns an equipment building and underground telephone lines. The United Methodist Church has recently been remodeled. Church School is held every Sunday and preaching services every other Sunday. Reverend Ray Willis was pastor through 1980.
Several mobile homes and about fifty houses are located in Avalon, with four or five having been built in the past seven or eight years. More are expected as people return to the better way of life.
-- Dolly Shipley