Other County Histories | Civil War | 1913 Vol. 1 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression |
History of Livingston County
from The History of Caldwell and Livingston Counties, Missouri.  1886

Table of Contents

Previous Chapter

Next Chapter




Physical Features - Organization - Early History - Land Entries - Coxville - Miscellaneous - Churches - Biographical.

Rich Hill is the only municipal township in the county composed of a single perfect and entire Congressional township. It is composed exclusively and solely of township 58, range 23. The township is comprised generally of fine farming land. In the eastern part, however, along Medicine creek, there are many tracts of bottom land, with two or three considerable lakes, and some swampy and marshy land unfit for cultivation.

Its nearness to Chillicothe renders the land in the southern part of the township very valuable, and its natural fertility adds to its worth, The fine farms of P. H. Minor and John Postlewait are unsurpassed in North Missouri for general excellence. The farmers, too, are some of them very intelligent and enterprising. Some fine herds of short horns and other superior breeds of cattle have been introduced and are kept here. The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad will be built through the western part of this township. It is related that when Mr. P. H. Minor donated the right of way for this road through his valuable lands, he said: "Take it, gentlemen; take all you want - everything I have if necessary; only leave me my wife and children."

The township was organized out of Chillicothe township, November 30, 1872, on petition of John M. Grant and others. It was first called " Grant" township for Mr. Grant, the leading spirit in its organization, but five days later the name was changed to Rich Hill, because of the number of alleged rich and fertile hill lands in the township. Rich Hill was a part of Chillicothe township when the bonds in aid of the Brunswick and Chillicothe Railroad were voted, and if they are decided legal and valid, must pay her due and just proportion of the debt.


The first land entries in Rich Hill township were made in October, 1889, and nearly all of them bear date October 26, and November 4, of that year. Settlements were made in the township prior to that date, however, but by whom and where can not now be determined. The original land entries prior to 1840, made by actual residents of either the township or county, are here given: -




Eli D. Murphy

nw. 1/4 sec. 4 nw. 1/4 sec. 5

Oct. 26, 1839

Chas. Ashley

nw. ne., ne. nw. sec. 6

Nov. 4, 1839

Sol. R. Hooker

w. 1/2 nw. sec. 7

Nov. 4, 1839

Eli Hobbs

e. 1/2 nw. sec. 7

Nov. 4, 1839

James White

sw. 1/4 sec. 7

Nov. 4, 1839

John B. Leeper

se. 1/4 sec. 7

Oct. 26, 1839

Thos. Dobbins

ne. 1/4 and e. 1/2 nw. sec. 22

Oct. 26, 1839

Thos. Dobbins

nw. sw. sec. 18

Nov. 4, 1839

John Cox

se. 1/4 sec. 14

Oct. 4, 1839

Wm. Garwood

sw. sec. 14, se. sec. 15

Oct. 26, 1839

John B. Leeper, Jr

nw. sec. 14

Oct. 26, 1839

John B. Leeper, Jr

e. 1/2 ne. sec. 18, and sw. 1/4 sec. 28

Oct. 26, 1839

Stephen Cox

w. 1/2 ne. sec. 14

Oct. 26, 1839

Solomon Cox, Sr.

ne. sec. 15

Oct. 15, 1839

Solomon Hobbs

e. 1/2 nw. sec. 18

Nov. 4, 1839

Wm. Lyman

w. 1/2 nw. sec. 18

Nov. 4, 1839

Henson Hobbs

w. 1/2 sw. sec. 18

Nov. 4, 1839

Jacob Hobbs

w. 1/2 nw. sec. 19

Nov. 4, 1839

Archibald Ward

se. 1/4 sec. 19 and sw. sec. 20

Oct. 26, 1839

Thos R. Bryan

e. 1/2 sw. sec. 19

Oct. 26, 1839

Andrew Culbertson

se. sec. 22

Oct. 26, 1839

Drury Moberly

ne. 1/4 and e. 1/2 nw. e. 1/2 se. and nw. se. sec. 28

Oct. & Nov. '39

David Warless

w. 1/2 nw. sec. 28

Oct. 4, 1839

Thomas Williams

w. 1/2 nw. sec. 26 and e. 1/2 ne. and nw. se. sec. 27

Nov. Oct. 1839

David Carlyle

e. 1/2 se. sec. 27

Oct. 27, 1839

Geo. Shriver, Sr.

s. 1/2 sec. 29

Oct. 27, 1839

Samuel Forrest

nw. 1/4 sec. 29

Oct. 27, 1839

Wm. E. Pearl

ne. 1/4 and e. 1/2 nw. sec. 30

Oct. 27, 1839

Geo. Pace

sw. 1/4 sec. 30

Oct. 27, 1839

John Austin

se. 1/4 sec. 30

Oct. 27, 1839

A. Z. Ball

nw. 1/4 sec. 31

Oct. 27, 1839

Jas A. Clark

sw. 1/4 sec. 31

Oct. 27, 1839

All the land in the lower tier of sections was entered October 26 and November 4, 1839.


Over on Medicine creek, at the site of Cox's old mill (e. 1/2 se. 1/4 sec. 14), John Cox laid out a town, November 3, 1840, which he called Coxville. It was a town without houses, however, and has passed from the memory of nearly every old settler. Cox's mill - better known as Slagle's mill, from its owner, Judge Joseph Slagle - was a noted institution in early days. One of the first mills in the country, it was resorted to for many miles by the early settlers of Linn, Sullivan, Grundy and northern Livingston, for a number of years. Mr. Cox had reason to consider the locality a promising one for a town.

Rich Hill township has been in existence as a municipal organization too short a period to have much of a distinct history. A number of progressive farmers have located within its limits and have made much of its natural advantages, and in point of development and natural wealth it will average fairly with any other territory of six miles square in the county. The successful creamery establishment of Mr. Adams, in the southwestern portion of the township, is a noteworthy institution, and of considerable value to the farmer's of that region.


The township has two churches and a number of school-houses, and both are well attended. The people have a reputation for being good citizens, and all mindful of their own interest.

Bethel M. E. Church - Stands on section 27. It is a frame and was built in 1883 at a cost of $1,508. The organization was effected in 1868, and the first members were Geo. Bowman and Magdalene Bowman, H. D. Jordan and Amanda Jordan, Saml. Beazell and Mary J. Beazell, J. W. Marmnduke and Lucinda Marmaduke, N. B. Cramer and Minnie Cramer, W. W. McMillen and Helen McMillen, James Smith and wife and L. Cunningham. The list of pastors contains the names of Hosea Beardsley, John Anderson, Edmonds, T. P. Hales, J. W. Bovee, C. H. John, W. R. Ely, F. R. Davis, M. V. Briggs, G. F. Bundy. The present membership of the church is 40; of the Sabbath-school, 40; the superintendent of the latter is Theodore McMillen.

Centenary Chapel (M. E. South). - This church is located on section 8, and was built in 1884, at n cost of $1,500. The original membership of the church organization numbered 18; the present membership is 25. Mr. Cleveland is superintendent of the Sabbath-school, which numbers about 50 scholars.



(Farmer, Section 27, Post-office, Chillicothe).

A man who in this life does the best he knows how, lives according to the teachings of his Maker and conducts himself in a conscientious, sincere way, need have no fears as to what his last end may be. Mr. Beazell is one of those who have so managed their lives that others have been benefited by their having lived in the world, and his daily walk and conversation constantly shine out in some " deed of kindness done." He was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., June 12, 1832, the son of Benjamin F. Beazell, also of the Keystone State, and for many years a merchant by calling; he is now occupied in farming, and is over eighty years of age. The maiden name of the mother of the subject of this sketch was Sarah Sampson, of the same locality as her husband. Eleven children were in their family, of whom S. W. was the fourth son and sixth child. He was reared in his native State, and continued to remain there until 1868, occupied all the while in agricultural pursuits. When the first call for troops was made to put down rebellion Mr. Beazell enlisted for three months in the 12th Pennsylvania volunteer infantry, and served over his time, subsequently receiving an honorable discharge. In 1868 he came to this county and improved a place, which he afterwards sold, then purchasing the farm on which he now resides. He owns 200 acres of land in a good state of cultivation, upon which are neat and convenient buildings, denoting comfort and prosperity. Mr. Beazell was married February 6, 1862, to Miss Mary J. VanKirk, who was born in Allegheny county, Pa. They have four children living: Ida, wife of W. E. Lilly; Benjamin F., Joseph B. and Jennie. Mr. and Mrs. Beazell are among the stanch supporters and liberal contributors of the M. E, Church.


(Farmer, Section 26, Post-office, Chillicothe).

It is well known that circumstances in life may make or mar the prospects of man to a certain extent, but a determined spirit will bend even the force of circumstances to its will. The career of Mr. Bird since his arrival upon the stage of human action is abundant proof of this trite saying. John W. Bird was born in Clark county, Mo., February 25, 1839. His father, Thomas C. Bird, originally from England, came to America in 1833, but returned in 1835, coming again to this country in 1837 to reside permanently. His trade of millwright he followed all his life. Settling in Iowa he worked in different towns at his trade and in 1839 went to Clark county, Mo., to build a mill and while there his son, John W., was born, the eldest of 9 children, his wife having formerly been Miss Mollie Moberly, of Bullock county, Ky., While quite young John was taken to Keokuk county, Ia., where he spent some years, and from that place he accompanied his parents to Arkansas, where the father afterwards died. The mother, with her family, subsequently came to Livingston county, Mo., in 1852.' Her father, Drury Moberly, was an extensive farmer and large slaveholder at one time in this county, and a man of considerable wealth. Young John Bird as he grew up learned the carpenter's trade and for many years gave his attention to that calling. In 1859 he went to Colorado and remained one year, then returning to Iowa, where. he engaged in railroading until the outbreak of' the war. Enlisting in Co. A, of the noted 2d Iowa volunteer infantry, he participated in many severe engagements, his regiment being the first to scale the fortifications at Fort Donelson, in which there were killed and wounded 330 brave, noble men. Their next encounter was at Shiloh where their killed and wounded numbered 280, and afterwards at Corinth, both the battle and siege, and in all the skirmishes and battles up to the engorgement at Atlanta, when he was honorably discharged, on August 22, 1864, his term of enlistment having expired. Mr. Bird now went back to Iowa, but from there came to this county, resuming work at his adopted trade until 1870. Since that time he has been closely and actively identified with agricultural pursuits in this vicinity, and his well established characteristics of energy, perseverance and unbounded industry have brought him safe returns. His neat farm embraces 70 acres, on which he is enabled to give excellent management. No man in Rich Hill township, or indeed in the entire county stands higher for honor and integrity than Mr. Bird, and the greater proof of his character as a man is the universal esteem in which he is held. Careful, prudent and economical, but not in the least penurious, he is filled with the "milk of human kindness," and those who know him best recognize in him a good neighbor. He belongs to the Masonic Order and also is a member of the Farmers' Protective Association. Mr. Bird has been twice married; first, in 1869, to Miss Nancy Hoge, who was born in this county, a daughter of Morgan Hope. She died leaving two children: Mary Ellen and Alice. March 10, 1876, he was again married, to Miss A. Kelly, a native of Missouri. They have two children: William F. and Major B. In 1878 Mr. Bird was elected constable and held the office until 1875, when he was made justice of the peace; since that time at each successive election he has been called to the same position, the duties of which he is well qualified to discharge.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 86, Post-office, Wheeling).

In reviewing the contents of this volume no adequate idea of the agricultural affairs of Rich Hill township, or of its substantial citizens, could be formed which failed to make mention of Mr. Burris and the excellent estate which he owns. His residence tract contains 400 acres, admirably adapted to the raising of stock on account of its splendid water facilities and the abundance of grass pastures here seen. All kinds of grain indigenous to this climate are grown upon his land and everything pronounces him an agriculturist of enterprise and progress, such as he is acknowledged to be. Perhaps this is not so much to be wondered at when it is known that he came originally from the Buckeye State, from Jackson county, where he was born November 28, 1822, the fifth child in a family of eight children which blessed the union of George Burris and Lydia Ewing, both Virginians by birth. The former gave his attention to farming until his death at the age of 85 years in 1876. Mrs. B. was a relative of the celebrated Thomas Ewing, of Ohio notoriety. She departed this life in 1876, when about 83 years old. John was reared to a farm expensive in his native State, there receiving his education, and, indeed, it continued to be his home for 41 years, or until his removal to this State in 1863. At that time he settled upon the place which has since been his point of residence, and it was only a short time before he took a prominent part as a leading farmer and stock man of the vicinity, a position he has since occupied. February 14, 1847, Mr. Burris was united in marriage with Miss Lucinda Poor, of the same county as himself, daughter of George Poor, who was a substantial farmer and stock-raiser; he also kept a hotel in his native State until his death in 1872. His wife was formerly Miss Mary Billips, a Virginian by nativity, born in Hayes' Valley, in the western part of the State. Her death occurred when about 65 years old. Mrs. B., the oldest of their 10 children, was born October 27, 1827. Mr. and Mrs. Burris have had four children: Mary Josephine, died in the winter of 1885; and A. E., George and Fredric J. are living.


(Farmer and Stock Dealer, Post-office, Chillicothe).

The subject of this sketch, well and favorably known to a host of acquaintances in this community, was born on August 19, 1839, and like many other residents of Livingston county is a native Missourian, his birth occurring in Monroe county. Larkin Field, mention of whom appears elsewhere, a resident of Chillicothe, is a Kentuckian by nativity, and by calling an agriculturist and excellent stock man. His wife, formerly Miss Melissa Shortridge, is also living; she, too, was originally from the Blue Grass State. After obtaining a good practical education John A. commenced his farming career, one that has since proved so successful. Indeed, his opportunities for acquiring an education were above the average for his instructor at one time was Prof. Joseph Ficklin, since renowned as a teacher in the State University at Columbia. The advantages there enjoyed have been of untold value to him in later years, for it has long been conceded that an education is as beneficial to an agriculturist as to a professional or business man. In 1868 Mr. Field purchased a farm of his own in this county, having come here in the fall of 1865, and this has since been his home. May 24, 1864, he was married to Miss Missouri A. Brown, whose parents were Elias Brown and Rebecca (Watts) Brown, the former now deceased, but the latter still living with her daughter. Mrs. Field was the fourth of five children. She and her husband have a family of four children: Lizzie, Maggie, Ida, and George. Mrs. Field is a member of Pleasant Grove M. E. Church South. Mr. F. belongs to Friendship Lodge No. 89, A. F. and A. M., of Chillicothe. He is much interested in promoting a good grade of stock here as well as aiding the county in every worthy movement, and the respect shown him is very extensive.


(Physician, Surgeon and Farmer, Post-office, Chillicothe).

Dr. Freeman, well known to the many readers of this volume, owes his nativity to Ross county, O., where he was born February 14, 1833, the third son and sixth child in the family of his parents, Lemuel and Celia (Burke) Freeman, the former a Virginian by birth, the latter originally from North Carolina. The father, who followed farming during life, died in 1859; his wife, whose birth occurred in 1796, departed this life in March, 1886, and up to the last she retained her mental faculties to a remarkable extent. Young John attended school during his boyhood days sufficiently to acquire something of a common English education, and when not thus occupied he gave his time to tilling the soil. When only a little past the age of 16 he entered upon a career as teacher, and during the period while engaged as instructor, he pursued his medical studies which he had previously taken up, and for which he had a natural inclination. It was about this time that Mr. Freeman came to Livingston county, in 1854, and here he resumed his professional experiences as teacher, but soon after he attended medical lectures at Keokuk, Ia. In 1857 he removed to Grundy county and commenced at once the active practice of his profession, his labors in that capacity being well prospered; and besides his own personal characteristics drew around him a wide popularity. This was the principal reason, coupled with his fitness for the position, which led him to become the representative of this county in the State Legislature. He was first elected in 1866, and again in 1868, and served in a manner which showed his faithfulness and impartial spirit. In 1877 the Doctor returned to Livingston county, erected a flouring mill on Medicine creek, in Rich Hill township, and conducted it for some time; but the venture proving unprofitable, he afterwards disposed of this investment and has since devoted his attention to his professional duties and the conduct of his farm of 80 acres. Dr. F. is deserving of especial mention for the excellent success which he has had in his farming operations; though a comparative beginner in this branch of industry, he displays such superior management and keen judgment that others might well emulate his example. His professional career, also, has been a substantial one, and few men have had demonstrated to them in a more worthy manner the appreciation in which they are held then has Dr. Freeman. He was married April,2, 1855, to Miss Mary J. Collins, who was born in Pike county, O., a daughter of William Collins, who removed to Missouri in 1854. They have six children: Mary, wife of William Wilson; Celia, wife of Rev. Ray Palmer, a Baptist clergyman, at Jefferson City; Ida, John Sanford, Minnie and Benjamin F. Two are deceased, Emma and Sarah. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Chillicothe).

John W. Graves comes of a long line of historic ancestors, all of whom have become prominent and influential in the different localities in which they have resided. John Graves, his grandfather, was the founder of Chillicothe, and a man to whom frequent mention is made in other parts of this volume. John's father, William B. Graves, was the most prominent man in the county in his day; the owner of large tracts of land, he was also the proprietor of an extensive mercantile business for a short time after his return from the Mexican War. An extended sketch of his life appears elsewhere in the present volume. John W. was the second child of three children in the fancily. His birth occurred in this county upon the old homestead and this has ever been his home, his long residence here and well known industrious habits and perseverance, as well as enterprise and progress, having contributed to place around him a host of friends and acquaintances. His opportunities for acquiring an education in youth were above the average for he supplemented his primary course of instruction by attendance at the Missouri State University under the presidency of Dr. Daniel Reed. Thus thoroughly prepared to enter into active business life, Mr. Graves after leaving college entered the mercantile establishment of Mr. James Leeper, at Chillicothe, with whom he remained three years, then engaging in farming on the old home place, one of the finest in the entire county, and here he has since remained. In connection with general farming he has long been interested in the stock business, the excellent short-horn cattle now seen upon his farm, together with other graded stock, indicating the position be occupies with reference to this branch of industry. On December 17, 1874, Mr. Graves was united in marriage with Miss Mina Davis, the sixth of 12 children of Temple H. and Francis (Hendon) Davis, the former a Kentuckian by birth and the latter of Virginia nativity. The father followed farming and stock raising until his death in 1884, his widow surviving until January 28, 1886, when she died at the residence of her daughter. Mrs. Graves was born at Hannibal, Mo., March 6, 1853, and was principally educated at the select female school of Dr. McElhaney, at Palmyra. She is the mother of four children: William T., Alice M., Ethel F. and Maggie. Mr. Graves and wife are members of the M. E. Church South at Chillicothe. He is also connected with Omga Lodge No. 61, K. of P., at Chillicothe.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 31, Post-office, Chillicothe).

The name that heads this sketch is one long and worthily identified with Livingston county, and, indeed, no history of this immediate vicinity would be complete which failed to make proper mention of Mr. Hoge. Originally from Greene county, Pa., he was born there July 18, 1820, the fourth of 10 children who grew to manhood in the family of his parents, George and Sarah Hoge, whose maiden name was Moore. Both were also natives of the Keystone State, and there the father died at an advanced age. As he was an agriculturist by occupation it was but natural that Morgan should become thoroughly acquainted with every detail connected with that calling, and that, too, from an early date. He continued to remain in Pennsylvania until the age of 28 years, and in that year he came to Missouri, considering that the new country beyond the Mississippi offered better advantages to young men than the East. And time has proven the wisdom of his decision in locating here. He has remained occupied in tilling the soil ever since that time, and his present place near Chillicothe indicates to a noticeable extent what years of industry and good management and superior knowledge will do towards the maintenance of a farm. By all he is considered to be the model farmer of the community; neat, progressive and of decided views in conducting all his operations, he has met with the substantial success that all concede is well merited. Of sound judgment and upright in every action, he is a man of unquestioned integrity and a favorite with all who know him. And surely this is as it should be. Mr. Hoge was married November 20, 1845, to 'Miss Cassandra Bradford, originally from Pennsylvania, her father, James Bradford, having come to Missouri in 1848, where he subsequently died in 1861. The maiden name of her mother was Miss Mary Dye, of the same State. Thirteen children were in their family, of whom Mrs. Hoge was the fourth. Mr. and Mrs. H. now have three children living: John, Israel and James. Two daughters are deceased, Nancy and Mary A., and two children died in infancy.


(Farmer, Section 35, Post-office, Chillicothe).

For 25 years of his residence in this county Mr. Hoge was much interested in the raising of tobacco, a business which brought him substantial returns; but during the past few years he has turned his attention largely to the stock industry. In this calling his success has become quite encouraging, and indeed in all of his transactions he has had no reason to feel otherwise. Mr. Hoge is of Pennsylvania nativity, born July 26, 1828, in Greene county. His parents, Barrack and Experience Hoge, nee Doty, were both born and brought up in Pennsylvania, the father moving from there in 1846 to Livingston county, Mo. To himself and wife nine children were given: Mary, wife of Lawrence Clark, still in the East; Jesse, died in Missouri; Craven, died in his native State after returning there froth this place; Solomon John, died in 1851; Samuel, is living in Washington Territory; William, died in Arkansas; Elizabeth, married Cornelius Caldwell, now of Daviess county; Experience, died in West Virginia, and Sarah Ellen, married G. Throckmorton in West Virginia. In 1849 the senior Hoge died, his worthy companion following him to the grave in 1854; the former had in his estate 280 acres of land. Solomon was reared in this county from the age of 16 years, and early in life was taught the rudiments of farm experience. This has since been his occupation, besides his connection with the interests above mentioned, and at this time he owns 200 acres of land, well and neatly improved. Mr. Hoge was married December 29, 1852, to Miss Sarah Lyon, who was born in Greene county, Pa., the daughter of Matthias L. Lyon, who was himself native to the Keystone State. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Hoge has been a most happy one, and has resulted in 10 children, whose names are: John M., in Iowa; Thomas J., George W., William B., Solomon S., Mariah E., Barrak L., Mary M., Margaret B. and Sarah Ellen. Mr. Hoge is a member of the A. F. and A. M. fraternity. He is one of the unassuming, intelligent agriculturists of this township, reliable beyond suspicion in all his operations, and to a great extent enjoys the esteem and confidence of those who know him.


(Raiser of Fine Horses and Cattle and Proprietor of Dairy, Post-office, Chillicothe).

The career of the subject of this sketch has been as varied and exciting as that of any man of his age; his numerous business ventures, while sometimes disastrous, have in the main been successful, and he is now in a position to enjoy the results at the many years of his active busy life. Originally from Karthaus, Pa., he was born January 25, 1828, the son of Ferdinand G. Hurxthal, a native of Remscheid, Germany, who with a brother was an extensive manufacturer of cutlery. He spoke seven languages fluently. Owing to the uncertainty of trade caused by the French Revolution he was persuaded to dispose of his interests in the old country and come to America. He acted as a supercargo on a Baltimore vessel and was once captured during the French occupation of the West Indies at Hayti; but through the intercession of a German merchant at that place was subsequently released. After settling at Baltimore he was married March 8, 1808, to Miss Dorothea C. Karthaus, also of Remscheid, Germany, and following this event Mr. Hurxthal and his father-in-law, Peter Arnold Karthaus, became engaged in large mercantile operations at Baltimore, fitting out many clippers, one of which under Capt. Sims, during the war of 1812, sailed into the English Channel and in a fit of bravado declared its ports under blockade. Mr. H. as a member of the Baltimore Huzzars participated in the repulse of Ross at the attack on Baltimore, when he fell after the burning of Washington. Mr. K. early purchased the township of land on which the town of Karthaus, Pa., is now located (managing the furnace and property there); and in 1830 he went to Ohio and in connection with Capt. Duncan founded the town of Massillon, and there his death occurred in 1858 at the age of 80 years; his wife was of the same age when she died in 1867. Charles B. Hurxthal, the youngest of 14 children, was educated at Massillon, O., his father having sunk a large fortune during the panic of 1830, but by after study and wide experience he has gained an extensive knowledge of men and books. He began life as a farmer and afterward engaged in merchandising and manufacturing, the business of the firm with which he was connected reaching out over a vast territory, with branch houses at many places. He was partner at the Malvern, O., branch and foreman at Akron, O., and in other capacities with this house until purchasing a mill at Bolivar, O., except for four years while in merchandising and in flour and saw mills and the lumber business at Woodland, Pa. For 14 years Mr. H. conducted this mill at Bolivar, O., and then in 1809, he settled on his present farm in this county. He has since continued the breeding of fine trotting horses and also of imported Jersey and Ayershire cattle, establishing a dairy when he first earned which has become of wide reputation. In addition to other fine horses Mr. Hurxthal has several fashionably bred trotting and draft animals, among which might be mentioned a magnificent trotting Sire, Bonny Clay, and Marshal Ney, the latter a magnificent and very popular Norman. His sweeping challenges to all North Missouri on the trotting colts of his horses' get are well remembered. December 23, 1862, Mr. Hurxthal was married to Miss Emma Dickson, a native of Ohio, daughter of John Dickson, a merchant in Bolivar, O., who died in 1871, and Charlotte L. (Knaus) Dickson, who still survives. She was the third of 10 children. Mr. and Mrs. Hurxthal have six children: Charles D., now attending the State University, who will probably fit himself for the legal profession, Dora A., Hermes F., William Meade, Annie F. and Lottie L. In the few facts which have here been presented there is surely to be found much encouragement for the youth of the present day who desire to rise in the world. Mr. H. is now living in section 31, at the east end of Jackson street, Chillicothe, surrounded by all the necessities and comforts of life.


(Farmer and Fine Stock-raiser, Post-office, Chillicothe).

Probably there is no man within the limits of this portion of the country who is as extensively engaged in the breeding of fine shorthorn cattle as Mr. Minor, for he 4;is 10 distinct families of thoroughbred animals, which are known throughout a, wide section; among these might be mentioned Rose of Sharon, Goodness, Phyllis, Agatha, Adalaid and Mrs. Motte. Experience and observation have led him to believe that no locality is as well adapted to the purposes of general stock culture as Livingston county. As early as 1859 he had become an extensive shipper of stock, but it was in 1864 and 1865 that he began bringing in fine thoroughbreds of all kinds, and he is; conceded the honor of being the introducer of thoroughbred animals in this county. The example thus set served as an impulse for others to follow him in this industry, and to Mr. Minor, therefore, is largely due the credit for so many exceptionally fine classes of stock in this county to-day. He came originally from a stock-raising community, Fayette county, Ky., having been born near Lexington December 4, 1826, the fourth of six children given his parents, Daniel and Elizabeth (Vance) Minor, both Virginians by birth, the former of Bedford county and of English descent; he was a planter, and upon going to Kentucky when a young man followed farming there. He died in his eighty-fourth year in 1881, his wife's death occurring in 1853, when she was 60 years old. Preston was educated in his native State, and when about 26 years of age came to Missouri, here commencing little for himself, buying and improving lands in this county. February 14, 1856, he was married to Miss Lydia A. Pace, daughter of George Pace, formerly from Kentucky, but who became prominently identified with the interests of Livingston county, Mo., in subsequent years, both in merchandising and stock dealing. He was also county judge, and after going to California in 1862 he represented his adopted county in the State Legislature, his death occurring while filling that position. January 2, 1841, was the date of his daughter's birth. Mr. and Mrs. Minor have 12 children: Mary J., Elizabeth, George D., John, William, Susan, Preston, Ellen, Dessie, Ann and Rachel. For nearly 30 years Mr. Minor and wife have been members of the Christian Church, and to the Masonic Order he has belonged since a young man. It is unnecessary to add that Mr. Minor is recognized as a man of energy, progressive spirit and clear perception, and his fellow-citizens owe him a debt of gratitude for the advanced state of the agricultural and stock-raising facilities of this community. Both he and his wife are estimable, hospitable citizens, alive to all issues of the day.


(Farmer and Raiser of Fine Stock, Post-office, Chillicothe)

Though Mr. Postlewait has been located in this county but some four years his career has thus soon proven of value to the community, especially in the direction of fine stock interests. Already well established as an extensive short-horn breeder, he is also known as an importer of Clydesdale horses, and besides these he has a fine Morgan stallion; fashionably bred Poland-China hogs are found on his place, these being preferred to the Berkshires. His farm is an exceptionally fine one for stock purposes, the conveniences, etc., being unsurpassed, and the home tract includes 680 acres, well improved. Mr. P. claims Virginia as his native State, his birth having occurred in Monongalia county April 3, 1834. William Postlewait, his father, also a Virginian by birth, and of English ancestry, was a planter up to the time of his death in 1888, then being 84 years of age. His worthy wife before her marriage was Miss Sarah Hague, born in Pennsylvania, and she is still a resident of that State and in her seventy-fifth year. Jarvis, the eldest of three children, was quite young when he left Virginia for Ohio and consequently attended school there but three months, but after removing to the latter State he received a good education. He gave his attention to agricultural pursuits in Ohio until 1882 and in that year, as stated, he became identified with Livingston county, Mo., which has since found in him a citizen of whom she may well feel proud. On September 28, 1866, Mr. Postlewait was married to Miss Mary J. Kidd, daughter of Ezra Kidd, a substantial farmer of Putnam county, O., who died in 1864. Mrs. P. was born April 7, 1844. By this union there are five children: Joseph, William, Mark M., Sallie May and Harry J. A glance at the above facts will show that Mr. Postlewait's life has been an active and successful one.

Table of Contents

Previous Chapter

Next Chapter