Other County Histories | Civil War | 1913 Vol. 1 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression |
History of Livingston County
from The History of Caldwell and Livingston Counties, Missouri.  1886

Table of Contents

Previous Chapter

Next Chapter



It is to be regretted that the additional matter which here appears could not have been inserted at its proper place. But though every effort was put forth to secure the desired information, the delay of those who had promised to furnish facts was of such continued duration that we were obliged to place the matter in this portion of our work. With this explanation these facts are here presented to our readers.


Old Mount Pleasant Church is an historic institution. It stands on the northwest quarter of the northeast quarter of section 12, Sampsel township, and was first built in 1853, and rebuilt in 1867, at a cost of about $800. The church organization was constituted in 1852, and some of the members were Henry Frith, Elisha Boucher, John Hargrave, J. H. Street,, John Walker, James McAllister, J. M. Alnut, John Weaver and members of their families. Other names found on the first records are those of Sneed, Jennings, McAllister, Cornelius, Sterling, Crews and Brassfield- about fifty in all. Rev. James Turner organized the church and officiated as its pastor for a number of years; he died, full of years and honor, April 10, 1883. The other pastors have been Revs. W. W. Walden, Peter Booth, I. R. M. Beasom, N. M. Allen, A. Pfister, John Harman, F. P. Bane, W. W. Gillaspie. Number of members at present, 112; number of scholars in the Sabbath-school, 36 - Benj. Smith, superintendent.


Grace Episcopal Church, Chillicothe, was organized September 21, 1868. Prior to this date the town had been visited by a number of the clergy and the bishop, but no regular services were held. During the year 1868 Rev. Mr. Sheetz made frequent visits, and it was through his efforts that a parish was organized. W. L. Harding, H. Churchman, O. M. Towner, E. H. Lingo and William Sallee were the first vestrymen. November 30, following, the vestry extended a call to the Rev. Francis Moore, who, being present, accepted and entered formally upon his duties as the first rector. The church building, a frame, was erected in 1869, at a cost of about $4,000; it was consecrated May 11, 1876, by the Rt. Rev. Bishop C. F. Robertson. The pastors have been Revs. Francis Moore, T. O. Connel, Francis Adams. J. H. Waterman and J. B. Trevett. The present membership is 75.


The organization of the M. E. Church South at Spring Hill was effected at an early date, perhaps about 1843. The early records are lost, but among the first members were W. B. Wingo, James Leeper, John L. Leeper, R. W. Reeves, Samuel Pepper, G. W. Anderson and members of their families, E. Gutheridge and others. The first church building was erected in the spring of 1851, by a Mr. Culbertson. It was dedicated by B. S. Ashby; D. H. Root was pastor at the time. The second church was built in 1880, costing about $900. The first trustees of this church were R. W. Reeves, John L. Leeper, James Leeper and Samuel Pepper. The first Sabbath-school superintendent was John L. Leeper, and Samuel Pepper was the first teacher of the Bible class. At present there are 85 members on the roll of this church, and 50 scholars in its Sabbath-school.


Spring Hill Lodge No. 154, A. F. and A. M., was organized January 2, 1885. The first officers were Willis Griffin, master; A. B. D. Martin and J. A. Conklin, wardens. By the burning of the lodge room the original records were destroyed, and it is impossible to give anything like a complete historical record of this lodge. It was re-organized March 17, 1877, and at present there are 27 members. The now eminent Freemason and celebrated divine, Dr. John D. Vincil, was initiated into the mysteries of the order by Spring Hill lodge.


Lone Star Chapter No. 30, Royal Arch Masons, was chartered May 15, 1859. The first officers were Lucien McDowell, high priest; Bluford West, king; Geo. W. Call, scribe; William Hixon, captain of the host; Ira Benson, principal sojourner; G. W. Munro, Royal Arch captain; R. Holland, D. K. Stockton and J. C. Minteer, masters of the veils; G. W. Michael, treasurer J. M. Bell, secretary; and C. H. Button, guard. For about two years the chapter worked under a dispensation, which was issued August 18, 1857. At present the officers are: S. L. Harris, high priest; W. B. Leach, scribe; J. R. Middleton, principal sojourner ; Wm. H. Couch, C. of H.; F. H. Hoppe, treasurer; I. N. Page, secretary. The present membership is 58; one of the members, Dr. R. Barney, is grand king of the order, and a former member, James E. Cadle, is past grand high priest.


Protection Lodge No. 30, A. O. U. W., was instituted by M. W. Newton. The dispensation was issued October 30, 1877. The First officer and charter members were R. Barney, P. M. W.; B. N. Stevens, M. W.; L. A. Chapman, G. F.; S. Shook, O.; J. R. Middleton, recorder; M. H. Wilcox, receiver; C. A. Martin, guard; J. A. Myers and N. H. Taft, warders; D. B. Dorsey, H. Kase, J. H. Davis, A. F. Chapin, D. F. Chapin and others. There has been but one death since the organization of the lodge. The Odd Fellows' Hall is used to meet in by this order. It is out of debt and has a membership of 37.


Grace Assembly No. 3957, K. of L., was organized June 16, 1885, with about 40 members, which number has since been quadrupled. The names of the officers and even of the members seem to be privileged questions, and are difficult to learn.


Col. Jacob Tindall Post No. 29, G. A. R., was organized under a dispensation dated in August, 1882. The first officers and charter members were W. N. Norville, post commander; S. F. Boyce, senior vice-commander; John De Sha, junior vice-commander; Chas. Hagaman, adjutant; T. H. Notestine, quartermaster; R. Barney, surgeon; Garrison Harker, R. M. Megar, J. H. Matthews, J. L. Raynard and eleven others. Its present membership is 119, and the officers are: H. G. Pringle, post commander; H. H. Spence, senior vice: J. V. Patterson, junior vice; H. De Wolf, chaplain; C. Coston, surgeon; A. J. Roof, adjutant; H. C. Clem, quartermaster; Garrison Harker, officer of the day; S. Umphalbaugh, officer of the guard. The post has not lost a single comrade by death since its organization. It is out of debt, has money in its treasury, and owns over $300 worth of post property.


Omega Lodge No. 61, K. of P., was organized by Chas. D. Lucas, D. G. C.; Spaulding, D. G. C., and Geo. D. Easton, G. M. at A. The dispensation bears date August 19, 1880, and the charter August 24, of the same year. The first officers and charter members were Nat Cooper, P. C.; J. L. Buford, C. C.; H. J. Michaels, V. C.; W. H. Beasley, P.; J. E. Hitt, M. of E.; J. F. Sherman, M. of F.; C. W. Asper, K. of R. S.; W. T. Browning, M. of A.; G. B. Sherman and Geo. T. Sailor, guards; Isaiah Hulderman, Jno. T. Sailor, Jno. C. Hanson, Jas. C. Minteer, Jr., Louis Herman, J. G. Wynne, Jno. Mohrs, Frank Platter, W. C. Crellin, Chas. G. Van and A. M. Johnston. The present membership is 43. W. E. Crellin is P. C.; J. P. Mohrs, C. C.; C. W. Asper, V. C.; G. B. Sherman, P.; Nat Cooper, M. of F.; M. A. Fitzpatrick, K. of R. and S. Jumes L. Buford, one of the members, is grand master at arms.


In the account of the massacre at Haun's Mill, and in other pages of this volume, it is stated that the so-called Gentile forces, or State troops, were commanded by Col. Wm. O. Jennings:, of Livingston county. So many statements were made to the compiler to this effect that the fact was not questioned. Too late to insert the correction in the proper place, comes the assertion of two or three parties, who ought to and doubtless do know the truth of the matter, that it was Col. Thomas Jennings, the father at Wm. O. Jennings, who was the chief in command. Wm. O. Jennings was the captain of the leading company and bore a most conspicuous part, and being a prominent citizen and well known, it came to be believed, after a lapse of so many years, that he was the commander. This correction is made mainly upon the authority of Robt. Lauderdale, who was at Haun's Mill.


The circumstance of the shooting of three Confederates in the southern part of the county, in August, 1862, and the almost miraculous escape at the time of E. G. Wallace, who is commonly called Green Wallace, is not accurately described in the war history of Livingston. The information upon which the account was written turned out to be deficient and incorrect in some particulars, and the incident is so remarkable in its character that it will bear correction and republication. Mr. Wallace's present location (at Gould Farm, Caldwell county,) could not be ascertained by the writer in time to compile the facts accurately for insertion in the proper chapter, but he has since been heard from. According to his statements the facts are as follows: -

When the order was issued for every able-bodied man to report himself to the nearest military post for enrollment, Mr. Wallace repaired at once to Chillicothe, from his home in the southern part of the county. Finding that he would be required to enter the Federal militia service, he left town and as soon as possible started for the Confederate army, determined that if he' must fight he would fight for the cause with which he was at the time the most in sympathy.

Soon after he entered Carroll county on his way South, he learned of the presence of a Confederate recruiting officer, Capt. John L. Mirick (now of Carrollton), who was in the Missouri river bottom with a company, and Wallace soon joined him. He was sworn into the Confederate service, and soon after Capt. Mirick set about crossing the river. That night Wallace, with some others, was placed on picket at some distance from the Confederate camp. Not being relieved promptly the next morning, the pickets concluded something had happened to their comrades, and abandoning their post set out in the direction of the place they had last seen them; but after proceeding about two miles they met two men who had been sent to relieve them, and who told them everything was all right.

Wallace and his companion then stopped at a house for breakfast, but before it could be prepared an alarm was given that the militia were coming. The Confederates hastily remounted and started for their picket post, which was on a high and commanding point, near the Wakenda, in the southern part at Carroll county. As they were riding up the hill on one side the militia were ascending the other side and the two parties met on the crest. Taken by surprise, the Confederates turned and fled. The Federals dashed after them firing rapidly, end Mr. Wallace says all of his party were killed except himself and Duncan Robinson. The latter alone succeeded in reaching his company. Wallace's horse fell in leaping a ditch, and Wallace himself was soon overtaken and made a prisoner by three of the enrolled militia from Richmond, Ray county, who "traded horses" with him, but otherwise treated him kindly and courteously. The Federal force, as stated elsewhere, was that commanded by Maj. Biggers, and which soon after defeated and dispersed Mirick and Ballew at Compton's Ferry, a few days before the engagement at that point between Poindexter and Guitar. The Mirick fight occurred August 1; the Poindexter fight, August 11.

After the fight with Mirick the next morning Capt. David and Lieut. Doyle were sent up the west bank of Grand river, and with them was a company of enrolled militia from the vicinity of Breckinridge commanded by Capt. Ed. T. Gudgell. At some point the Confederate prisoners, Austin and Walden, of Carroll, and Wallace and - Black, of Livingston, were turned over to Capt.. Gudgell's company.

Wallace says: " Gudgell took the Chillicothe and Brunswick road. We had gone but a few miles when we stopped at a, hole of water to water our horses. While our horses and those of our guards were drinking, a man named Gross, one of the militia, rode up, and taking off his cap told us that according to orders, and as a penalty for the crime we had committed, we were to suffer instant death, and that he and certain of the men with him had been detailed and sent hack to shoot us. They then took our horses by the bridles and led them about 75 yards from the road, up into a little draw, when they ordered us to dismount. They then formed us in a line, stepped back a few paces and told us if we had anything to say we must say it at once. At the word, 'fire' Black, who stood on my right side, received two balls; he received the shot intended for me. There was a man at the firing party for each one of us. The one selected to shoot me was a mere boy, and though he stood directly in front of me, he was so excited and unnerved by what he had to do that instead of aiming at me he aimed at Black. I saw when he brought his gun down that it was not pointed at me, and that he would not hit me, but at the crack of the guns I fell as if I had been shot and lay quite still.

"One or two were not killed instantly, and our would-be executioners decided to shoot us in the head, to put us out of our misery, as they expressed it. I had fallen on my face. The front part of my hat rim was pressed against the ground, which had the effect to raise my hat from the back part and top of. my head. The man who came to give me my finishing stroke when deceived by this little circumstance, and though he aimed at what he thought was the top part of my head he missed me, and the ball only passed through my hat, cut away a good sized lock of my hair, and buried itself in the ground.

"After Gross and his party rode off I lay still a few moments, then raised myself up very cautiously and, seeing no one, crawled down the slough to a snug hiding place, where I lay till dark. I then started for home, but head not gone far until I ran on a picket guard. I was ordered to halt and two shots were fired at me. At the word "halt!" I dropped by the side of the road and crawled for three-quarters of a mile, and then stopped and remained there until the next day about 10 o'clock. Then I started again, and by taking by-paths and avoiding the public roads I was enabled to reach home in safety."

For three months or more Mr. Wallace remained in hiding, a portion of the time in Chariton county. His nearest neighbors believed him dead. Betrayed by an old lady, he was saved by a Union soldier named George Reed, who hastened to inform his father and the latter sent for him and brought him in. He surrendered himself to Col. J. B. Hale, and was released on taking the oath and giving bond. In the fall of 1864 he went to Richmond, Ray county, and entered the federal service, joining the State militia. He served faithfully about four months, when his company was disbanded.

From the foregoing, the statement that it was Capt. David who was responsible for the shooting of the prisoners is incorrect. It seems probable that the order came from Capt. Gudgel, whom Wallace describes as a "large fleshy man" although he does not pretend to say positively that he was responsible. It is also incorrect that in 1865 Wallace violated his parole and entered the Confederate army. It was the Federal service in which he enlisted - the State militia. The information on these points given the writer. seemed correct, and doubtless those who furnished it believed it to be so. The same mistakes occur in the version of the affair given in the history of Carroll county.




(General Agent of the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad, at Chillicothe).

From an early age Mr. Harrington has been engaged in railroad work, and, indeed, nearly all his life has been spent in connection with railroad business, and yet he has found time to become well informed and posted on matters outside of his adopted calling. His birth occurred in South Toledo, Ohio, in 1850, and there he grew to manhood, attending the public schools, where he obtained a good practical education. When a mere boy he entered the office of the Wabash Railroad Company at Toledo and served as clerk, etc., until 21 years of age, when, having familiarized himself with the art of telegraphy, he became operator at different places. For some time he was in the employ of the Wabash, Baltimore and Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroads, and in 1878 he went to Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory, where he embarked in the clothing business. A short time there, however, satisfied him and he started on his return East, and while on the way was tendered and accepted the position as station agent at Blanchard, Ia., on the Council Bluffs division of the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad. Since that date he has been in the service of the company; in the fall of 1881 he came to Chillicothe and was made passenger agent and in August, 1884, the company manifested the confidence they had so long reposed in him by appointing him general agent, a position be still continues to occupy. While he is popular with the traveling public, he attends strictly to his duties, but withal is courteous and affable in his demeanor. Mr. Harrington was married in 1880 to Miss Kate McCormick, of Gallatin, Mo., who died May 15, 1883. June 16, 1885, Mr. H. took for his second wife Miss Minnie Warren, of Chillicothe, an accomplished and amiable person. Mr. Harrington has traveled considerably during his life and among other States visited have been Florida and Colorado. Though brought up in the Catholic faith he is not a zealot in religious matters, but liberal toward all denominations. His father, Dennis Harrington, was a native of Ireland, and a man who believed in extending to all children superior educational advantages. All of his family obtained good English schooling.


(Agent of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, Chillicothe).

Mr. Nason justly enjoys the reputation of being one of the most popular and efficient officials in the service of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, and among the citizens of Chillicothe he stands high as a man of true worth and is sincerely esteemed. His father was Maj.Gen. John Nason, a native of New Hampshire, but later of Vermont, and his father erected the first frame house in St. Albans, Vt. Gen. John Mason commanded a Vermont militia company in the "Patriot War," of 1837. Carter's great-grandfather was an English sea captain, and the Nason family is of English origin. Carter Hickock Nason was born at St. Albans, Vt., in 1834, and was reared there until early manhood, after which he went to New York State. Later on he located in Pennsylvania, then in Indiana, and subsequently, on August 1, 1878, he came to Chillicothe as agent of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad. He had received an academic education, and on starting out in life was engaged in book-keeping, at first, after which be read law for two and a half years, though he was not admitted to the bar. For three years he was occupied in an official capacity in Franklin county, Vt., as deputy sheriff; but for 21 years he has been principally employed in railroading. At one time he was trainmaster on the Wabash, at Lafayette, Ind., and, besides this, he has worked on the Atlantic and Great Western, and Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroads. Mr. Nason has closely identified himself with the interests of Chillicothe during his residence here, and he now owns a neat, comfortable dwelling, with pleasant surroundings, the interior decorations of his home being not less attractive than its outside appearance. In 1883, and again in 1884, he was elected as alderman from the third ward of Chillicothe. In 1866 Mr. N. was united in marriage with Miss Calista Cook. One child born of this union is living, Walter C. Two others, bright, interesting boys, John C., aged 12 years, and Jesse B., 7 year's old, were drowned August 11, 1880, in company with a son of Henry Manning, of Chillicothe, while bathing in Grand river, near this city. This distressing accident occasioned universal sorrow throughout the place, but only the two immediate families who were thus suddenly afflicted could realize the loss which the death of these promising boys occasioned. Mr. N. is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and though not connected with any religious organization, he attends the Episcopal Church.



(Of Blue Mound Township).

The ancestors of this representative and well known family as far as is known came originally from Ireland and were early colonial settlers of Virginia, many of the same name still residing in that State. Moses Bowen was born March 22, 1800, in Greenbrier county, Va., and in 1826 married Miss Sarah Blizzard, of Pendleton county, Va., born March 20, 1810, daughter of James Blizzard, a Revolutionary soldier. Moses Bowen's parents were Anthony and Margaret (Mann) Bowen. In 1855 he (Moses) leaving the Old Dominion moved to Daviess county, Mo., and two years thereafter to the northeastern portion of Blue Mound township, Livingston county, where a comfortable home was made. Though a farmer by occupation he gave considerable attention to dressing hides and glove-making after coming to Missouri. He was a great admirer and excellent judge of horses and during life did much to improve stock interests in this community. A strong pro-slavery man, a life long Democrat, he was, however, an uncompromising Union man during the war. His death occurred November 13, 1884, his wife having preceded him to the grave April 17, 1882. Their large family of children (all born in Greenbrier county, Va.,) were reared to maturity and most of them now reside in this county. One son, William H., married Elizabeth Kemp, and they had three children. He was killed in 1861, in Livingston county, having been a strong and fearless defender of the Union cause. James A. Bowen was born July 17, 1830, in Greenbrier county, Va., and in this county was married March 21, 1860, to Miss Permelia Purcell, daughter of Aaron Purcell, elsewhere referred to in this work; her birth occurred here March 1, 1839. To James A. Bowen and wife the following children have been born: Octa J., Sarah E., Ulysses G., Mary E., Otis O., Loretta D., John F., Charles W. and Lovie L. Mr. Rowen owns 264 acres of land well and comfortably improved. He has occupied numerous official positions while a citizen of Blue Mound, among others, that of justice of the peace. He is numbered among the enterprising, characteristic agriculturists of this vicinity. Mary M. Bowen married Mr. James Kinley, of this township. Capt. Anthony L. Bowen, another son, is probably the best known member of the Bowen family, and as such deserves prominent mention. His youth and early manhood were passed in assisting about the home farm, and when the war broke out he took firm stand on the side of the Union, aiding greatly by example and precept in maintaining a loyal sentiment. He held a captain's commission and served two years in the 33d Missouri Enrolled Militia, in Co. A. In September, 1864, he enlistees in Co. G, 44th Missouri volunteer infantry, of which he was captain, and subsequently he participated in the battles of Franklin, Nashville, Spanish Fort and others; his military record is remembered as having been one of bravery and gallantry and he is highly spoken of - by his companions in arms. Since the war he has been engaged iii farming and stock-raising, his excellent estate embracing 330 acres. Capt. Bowen's public-spiritedness and progressiveness have more than once been manifested, and doubtless this is one reason, of his extensive acquaintance. A younger brother of the.- Captain is John M. Bowen, whose entrance into the world is dated January 6, 1837. He also grew up to a farm experience, and in 1864 his marriage to Miss Eliza J. Lowery was consummated. Mrs. B. was born in Kentucky in 1845, and has borne her husband the following children: William S., Moses M., Sarah E., Mary J., Samuel J., George R., Annie, Ora, Robert and Nellie. Mr. Bowen passed a term of three years as a soldier in the 44th Missouri volunteer infantry during the war, experiencing much active service. His farm contains 220 acres, and is carried on in a neat, practical manner. Another brother of his, Jacob A. Bowen, also became a member of the 44th Missouri, and died in 1866. Louisa J. and Sarah L. Bowen are residents of Fairview township, this county, and Julia A., a twin sister of Letitia S., became the wife of George Baxter, but is now deceased. Charles H. Bowen is still less than forty years of age, having been born December 25, 1848. In growing up he obtained a good common school education, and on April 15, 1880, married Miss Lucilla Agnew, originally from Jackson county, Mo., born in 1863. They have two children, Moses A. and Alta V. Mr. Bowen owns 80 acres of land in Bates county, and a similar tract in this county. He has taught school not a little, and has met with good success in that profession.

Such, in brief, is an outline of the history of the Bowen family - a true statement, in which they may well feel a just pride, for it resounds with credit upon them. In taking a retrospective view of their careers during life it may truly he said that they are, in every sense of the term, a respected family, and useful and esteemed members of society. Though reared as Democrats, their political preferences are now with the Republican party. They contribute liberally towards the upbuilding of all worthy movements, aiding in many ways the social, moral, intellectual and financial welfare of their adopted home.


(Druggist, Dawn).

Although still comparatively a young man, Mr. Fisher's career in life, while, perhaps, not illustrious with startling incidents or striking contrasts, has been one of influence upon the immediate society in which he has moved and one that has shown how a laudable ambition may be gratified when accompanied by fair motives and steadfastness of purpose. His paternal ancestors came originally from Germany to this county in an early day, and identified themselves with the people of Pennsylvania. Thomas Fisher, the father of Watson A., was born in Chester county, of that State, August 3, 1811 and as he grew up learned the details of farm life. While yet a lad he was apprenticed to learn the trade of blacksmith and afterwards followed that calling in connection with farm duties. Miss Eliza King became his wife during his residence in Chester county, her birth having. occurred in 1820, and in 1852, in company with his family, Mr. Fisher removed to Adams county, Ill., continuing the occupations above mentioned: Until coming to Livingston county, Mo., in 1868. Progressive in his ideas and tendencies, he became well known and highly respected. Politically be was a Democrat. He died in this county July 24, 1881, Mrs. Fisher having departed this life in 1872. The following family of children were born to them: Sidney A., wife of Jonathan Travilla, a prominent architect of Dawn; John W., now a resident of Quincy, Ill., well remembered by the people of Northern Missouri as a commercial traveler, banker and manufacturer of tobacco; Sarah A., who died in Illinois; Joshua K., whose death occurred on the old homestead; James A., a popular hardware merchant of Dawn; Watson A. and Thomas A., for many years engaged in mercantile pursuits at Dawn, but at present located in Colorado. Watson A. Fisher was born in Chester county, Pa., October 7, 1849, but from an early age he grew up in Illinois, whither his father, as stated, had moved. He attended the schools of Payson a portion of the time and while not thus employed assisted his father in his duties about the shop. To the good primary course of instruction which he received was added an excellent academical education so that at the early age of 16 he was thoroughly qualified for teaching; while in Adams county he was thus engaged for some time and after locating in this county continued the same occupation, at odd times helping about the farm. For a number of terms he had charge of the Dawn school and built up an enviable. reputation as an educator. In 1876 he erected a commodious two story brick business building at Dawn and embarked in the drug trade and in 1883 he also built a large hotel, three stories in height, under which are two extensive and well arranged business rooms. The hotel, under the efficient management at David Llewellyn, is one of the best and most popular hostelries in the county. Mr. Fisher has been in the drug trade continuously since his settlement at Dawn. He was also connected with his brother, Thomas A., in general merchandising for some time. Besides his hotel interests he is now conducting a drug and grocery house under the control of Mr. John Mossberger, and keeps a complete and fresh stock of drugs, to which he gives his personal attention. Mr. Fisher's connection with the material affairs of Dawn has been of untold benefit to the place. His standing as a business man, his influence as a citizen of high character, his support in advancing all interests tending to the welfare of his adopted county, all proclaim him a man worthy the esteem and confidence of every person in the community. Of his social qualities his friends can speak with enthusiasm. Urbane in demeanor and of ripe culture, he fills the full measure of an honorable gentleman. All his acts are inspired by liberal and generous principles. Mr. Fisher was married May 14, 1882, to Miss Olive Carr, who was born in Adams county, Ill., December 16 1855. They have one child, Walter N. born April 12, 1883. Mr. Fisher in his political preferences tends toward Democracy, though not confining himself to party measures.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser).

James F. Oliver is accorded a worthy place in this volume for entire life has been passed in this county, and as a younger member of the agricultural circle of the community he has gained a wide and popular acquaintance. October 28, 1850, his birth occurred in this township. His paternal grandfathers were soldiers in the Continental army during the Revolutionary War, his grandfather on his mother's side holding a captain's commission. Both families were formerly of good old Virginia stock. John C. Oliver, James' father, was born in the Old Dominion in 1806, and in 1827 married Jane P. Pulliam, whose birth occurred there in 1809. Seven children comprised their family: George H., John B., Sarah A., Thomas E., Mary E., Parthenia C. and James F. Until 1843 Mr. Oliver and family remained in Virginia, then removing to Montgomery county, Tenn., from whence in a short time they went to Christian county, Ky. In 1849 this county became their place of settlement, a home being made in Blue Mound township. The father always followed farming as a calling and with success. He and his wife were noted for their kindness of heart and true Southern hospitality, as well as for their social and moral worth. Mr. O. was a man well informed on current topics and of decided views, but withal courteous and gentlemanly, and with Mrs. Oliver belonged to the Christian Church. He died December 19, 1870, but his wife survived him until 1881. George H., their oldest son and child, was born in Prince Edward county, Va., October 9, 1828; he received only a limited education and remained with his parents until about 20 years of age, when he began working at the carpenter's trade with an uncle, an occupation which he followed in connection with farming all his life. For two years he conducted a feed stable in Chillicothe, but at this time he is located on a farm in this township. September 24, 1851, he was married to Miss Nancy J. Coe, who was born in Covington, Ind., June 6, 1831. They have had seven children: Alice D., Millard W., Leslie B., Amy J., Ann R., John M. and Benjamin H. Mr. Oliver has given all of his children such school facilities as his means afforded and two of his daughters are now teachers of experience and popularity. In his political views he is a Democrat. He has always labored for what he has considered the best interests of his county and fellow-man. James F. Oliver remained upon the home farm until 18 years of age, becoming of course familiar with farm labor, and his first start for himself was as a farm band. In looking over his career we might well call him self-made, for from an humble beginning, almost from nothing, he has risen to a substantial position in both material affairs and the esteem of those who know him. He now owns 320 acres, an estate that has been obtained by hard work and good management. October 10, 1872, Mr. Oliver was married, Miss Theresa Wier becoming his wife. She was born in Grand River township of this county October 12, 1850, the daughter of Robert. Wier, a native of Ireland, who when a young man came to the United States; after a short stop in Pennsylvania he went to Marietta, O., and then in company with William Jacobs and family started to seek homes in Missouri. After reaching here Mr. Wier met and in 1842 married Miss Sarah Jacobs and subsequently they settled near "Jimtown." Both Mr. and Mrs. are well remembered by the early settlers of this county. To Mr. Oliver and wife the following children hive been born: Claude, Annie, Roy, Virgil and Katie. Mr. Oliver is one of the representative, leading agriculturists of Livingston county. All laudable enterprises are aided by him, and there is nothing of' true merit but that receives his support. Politically he is a Democrat.


(Minister and Farmer).

There is a sure anchorage in the Christian faith that is stronger than all the philosophies which have blessed or cursed mankind. There is something in the life of a man who depends on the Christian's God, some indefinable and unanswerable argument, that staggers infidelity and puts philosophy to flight. And it is a rest to biographical writers to be able to turn from the usual busy world to tell the story of an humble, trusting Christian and minister of the Gospel. Rev. R. M. Richardson was born in Holywell, North Wales, July 18, 1841, the son of Joseph and Magdalena (Evans) Richardson, both natives of that country. The father was a farmer by calling and two children besides Richard were in his family, John a resident of Staffordshire, Eng., and Elizabeth, who died in Wales. The religious preferences of the parents leaned toward the Baptist faith and their lives were passed in beautiful harmony with the tenets of that belief. Richard M. Richardson was not favored with any but limited educational facilities, for up to the time of leaving home he applied all his earnings towards the support of the family. When 12 years old he commenced working in a smelting works and remained connected with it until 21 years of age. Then by request of the Baptist parish church he began to preach to them and at once entered upon a coarse of desultory reading, also spending some time at a select school at Holywell. Up to 1870 he was occupied with ministerial labors in his native country and then he came to the United States, soon locating at Minersville, Pa., where he devoted seven years to the ministry. In 1877 he came to Dawn and took charge of the Baptist Church at this place, and since his connection with it its progress has been something remarkable. Not only has the membership been largely increased, but a deep spiritual fervor has marked its course, and the labors of Mr. Richardson have indeed been abundantly blessed. His earnest, practical manner of speaking, and the plain but forcible truths which he has ever endeavored to present have not failed of producing the desired results; his life as a man and the influence which he has exerted have been watched but not condemned, for he has always strived to live not only according to precept but by example. Mr. R. was married in April, 1865, to Miss Elizabeth Carlton, whose birth occurred in Holywell, Wales, in 1843. There are eight children by this union: Fannie E., Joseph A., Thomas E., Edith G., Mary J., Richard C., Annie E. and William G. Mr. Richardson's political preferences are Republican. Joseph A. Richardson, the eldest son, is now studying law with L. A. Chapman, Esq., of Chillicothe, with a view of practicing that profession. He is making rapid progress in his studies, and is remarked for his humorous wit and fluency of speech.




No sketch within the limits of the present work will be read with more genuine interest than that of the respected and honored man whose name appears above, one of the tried and true citizens of Wheeling. W. T. Weed was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., at Forestville, August 21, 1826. His father came from Dutchess county, of the same State. About 1840 the family removed to the northern part of Illinois, locating near Marengo, and when 18 years old young Weed commenced working on a farm for $100 a year. Out of this he paid $50 for 40 acres of land, continuing to labor by the month until he had entered in all 240 acres of Government land. Mr. Weed now relates one incident, which he remembers most distinctly, when he desired to enter 40 acres, the land once then being at Chicago, 70 miles distant. He had but fifty cents above the amount necessary to enter this laud and was somewhat perplexed as to how a journey of 140 miles should be accomplished at such a trivial cost. But a determined will knows no obstacle, and accordingly with a day's provisions tied up in a handkerchief he started on foot for Chicago', which he reached by noon of the next day; commencing his return journey at 4 p. m., he traveled all night and reached home in time for dinner, having spent but forty-four cents on the entire journey, though paying for everything which he bought. In the spring of 1853 he sold his land, bought cattle and with an ox team and wagons started across the plains. A delay of three weeks at the crossing of the Missouri river, near the present site of Omaha, interfered considerably with his plans, so that upon arriving at Salt Lake he took the route to Oregon instead of the Southern route. Leaving old Fort Hall and going down the south bank of' Snake river, so much alkali water was found and so little grass that his cattle all finally died, the last one in Eastern Oregon. Nothing now hindered the party from progressing more rapidly on foot than with the ox teams and Mr. Weed went up to Puget Sound, in Washington Territory, and remained for 11 years occupied in lumbering. He helped to raise the frame of the first saw mill built on the Sound, subsequently served two years in the Lower House of the Territorial Legislature and was elected for a three years' term to the Upper House, but resigned this position and returned t,o Illinois in January, 1864. Then he married Lydia A. Andrews, whose birthplace was also in Chautauqua county, N. Y., at Portland. In February, 1865, Mr Weed came to Missouri, lived four years at Chillicothe, and then bought a farm of 300 acres, seven miles north of Wheeling, in Medicine township. But poor health induced him to dispose of this property in 1882, and since that time he has resided in Wheeling, enjoying to an unlimited extent, the esteem of all who are favored with his acquaintance. Himself and worthy wife have had two boys; the oldest died when a year old and the other, Benson A., born June 14, 1867, still survives, a young man who is doing honor to the name he bears.

Table of Contents

Previous Chapter

Next Chapter