The Chillicothe Business School
from The History of Livingston County, 1937
Forty-seven years ago this fall, the Chillicothe Normal School and Business
Institute opened its doors in Chillicothe. brought to this city by Allen Moore,
I, from Stansberry, Missouri, it was founded here because of the town's
excellent railroad facilities. On September 2, 1890, the school term began with
600 student teachers, and in July, 1891, the first Commencement exercises were held, with
seven graduates receiving diplomas
upon completion of their teacher training. Of this number, one was a young lady
stenographer, the only stenographer in town at this time, except for a court
At the time of the founding of the school, the campus group consisted of the
main building which was the first of the group to be constructed, and Empire
Hall, then used as a residence for teachers. The school was known as one of the
finest in the West.
Allen Moore, I, was a noted educator, coming to Missouri from Indiana.
Previous to coming to Chillicothe, he was a partner in a college at Stansberry,
Missouri. The Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune says of him: "Although a man
of great foresight, it is doubtful whether Mr. Moore ever visioned the buildings
and great stadium with its electric flood lights which probably would amaze the
institution's founder were he to see it today." Mr. Moore, Sr., served as
president of served as president of the institution until his death, on January
9, 1907. His elder son, Allen Moore, II, then became president, and Roy Moore,
vice-president, an arrangement which has continued to this day. the two sons
continued the policy of their father, whose slogan was: "a business
education within the reach of all." and the school flourished amazingly.
However, in 1910, in line with the trend of modern business, the school was
converted into a business college exclusively, and the name was changed to the
Chillicothe Business College.
A building program mapped out in 1900, resulted in the construction of the
Telegraph Building and Dryden Hall, then used as a boys' dormitory. Vincent hall
was built in 1917 and was used as a boys' dormitory. A further program of
expansion in 1924-25 brought the annex to the main building and a gymnasium. On
January 1, 1925, the gymnasium was completed and opened for use , but on March
29, after a successful season of athletics in the new building, the main
building and the annex were destroyed by fire. This catastrophe - in which all
the school records were lost - interrupted school for a short time, but after a
brief period the new gymnasium was converted into Commerce Hall and school
resumed as usual.
Now another building program confronted the management and was solved in 1928
when on February 3, ground was laid off for a new gymnasium-auditorium. In the
fall, on December 6 and 8, the building was formally opened by two social
affairs, the first for students, and the second for friends and patrons.
Further growth and expansion have since taken place, with a splendid athletic
field and stadium dedicated on October 17, 1930 - one of the finest in the state
- erected at a cost of $40,000.00; a new dining hall, begun in the spring of
1935 and finished that fall; and finally, the eighth building on the campus,
begun this spring and now nearly ready for occupancy - Minerva Hall , a
$50,000.00 dormitory for girls.
The history of the school and the history of the city of Chillicothe are
intermingled. The college was founded with the aid of the city, although later
taken over entirely by Allen Moore, Sr. in 1925, with the aid of the town, the
school recovered from the destructive fire which razed Old Main, and in C. B.
C.'s last building program, the town stood behind the Moore brothers and in one
day subscribed a bond issue which made the building a certainty. Chillicothe is
justly proud of the energy and enterprise of the Moores, father and sons, who
have made the name and fame of the Chillicothe Business College known in
practically every state in the union.