St. Joseph's Church
Parish Roster of St. Joseph's Church
Corner of Leeper and High Sts., Chillicothe, MO.
REV. FRANCIS P. CUMMINS, PASTOR
G. A. McBRIDE
H. N. BURKE
MRS. J. P. BURKE PRESIDENT
MRS. WM. MANNING SEC. & TREAS.
APOSTLESHIP OF PRAYER
KNIGHTS OF FATHER MATHEW
T. N. BURKE CHIEF SIR KNIGHT
JOHN J. MARTIN DEPUTY SIR KNIGHT
W. F. HACKETT RECORDER & FINANCIAL SEC.
JAS. WALL ASS' T REC. & FINANCIAL SEC.
REV. F. P. CUMMINS BANKER
MAURICE DORNEY MARSHALL
GEORGE SLATTERY SENTINEL
HALL OVER SUMMERVILLE'S GROCERY STORE
SOUTH WASHINGTON STREET
FIRST SATURDAY AND THIRD FRIDAY
OF EACH MONTH
LADIES' AUXILIARY, K. F. M.
MISS ELLA WALL PRESIDENT
MISS ELLA CASEY VICE PRES.
MISS KATE HACKETT SECRETARY
MISS MARGARET MURRAIN ASS'T SECRETARY
MRS. T. N. BURKE TREASURER
MRS. M. LaPAGE SENTINEL
TEACHER OF ST. JOSEPH PARISH SCHOOL: MISS ELLA CASEY
SERVICES AT ST. JOSEPH'S CHURCH
DAILY MASS 8 O'CLOCK
DURING VACATION 7:30 A. M.
FIRST MASS 8 o'clock
SECOND MASS 10 o'clock
SUNDAY SCHOOL FOR CHILDREN NOT ATTENDING PARISH SCHOOL
FOR PARISH SCHOOL CHILDREN 2:30 P.M.
THE HOURS FROM 2:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. ARE RESERVED FOR
PASTORAL CALLS. THE RECTOR DURING THAT TIME IS FREQUENTLY AWAY FROM HOME. CALLS AT THE RECTORY SHOULD BE TIMED ACCORDING TO THE ABOVE HOURS.
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
CHILLICOTHE, LIVINGSTON COUNTY, MISSOURI
by: L. A. MARTIN
The Catholic Church in Livingston County was of humble origin. It was a small
event when, on that bright September evening in 1857, a weary traveler rode up
to the "City Hotel" in Chillicothe and sought lodgings for the night.
There was nothing out of the ordinary in his appearance. A young man of slender
build, kind, earnest blue eyes, with a slight shade of college mannerism in his
conversation, polished with a rich varnish of "Limerick brogue". He
entered that ancient hostelry at the corner of Jackson and Washington Streets,
now Swetlands drug store, and registered, plain "John Hogan.
He, however, immediately began to make inquiries of the town; of its people,
their politics, religions and churches. An interest being awakened; as to which
he desired to attend, a life-sized sensation was sprung by the news that a
"Catholic priest was in town". In the lingo of one surprised hearer,
"he was young, good looking, rather shy, but dead set on preaching." A
large part of the residents, out of curiosity as well as Kentucky liberality,
desired that he be allowed the use of one of the other churches but powers that
be vetoed the proposition, so he was compelled for a time to mass in private.
The first service was held the morning after his arrival, at the home of Mrs.
Eliza Bell, who, with Mrs. Catherine G. Tanner, were the only Catholics living
in Chillicothe at that time. Mrs. Bell lived at the Northwest corner of Jackson
and Woodward Streets, and at her home for a while, Father Hogan resided. These
two noble women constituted the first Catholic congregation in Chillicothe. Mrs.
Bell and her family moved away before the war. Mrs. Tanner, afterwards Mrs.
Wilmott, resided here until her death, which occurred Nov. 11, 1900. It is
worthy of mention that she was, in those days, one of the most devoted workers
in building up the struggling church. Her hands dressed the first Altar, upon
which the first mass was celebrated in this County, and it was her hands placed
the first roses upon the Altar of the old church that once stood South of the
railroad, now gone, a vanished ruin, and only a remembered monument of the zeal
and devotion of the few pioneer Catholics of that day. That church was completed
in 1859, and dedicated May 17, 1860. It was called St. Columban's Church after
one of the patron Saints of Ireland.
Father Hogan remained pastor in charge until his removal to St. Joseph in November, 1868 having been appointed first Bishop of that Diocese, the March previous. While Priest of this place he had many startling adventures, he escaped the Centralia massacre by his being late for his train by an urgent sick call, called from his train which went on and fell into Grand River, the bridge having been burned by Confederate sympathizers, rescued from assassination at the hands of an ex-convict from the Arkansas penitentiary by the accidental arrival of a friend, and not the least startling, on December 14th 1865, indicted by the Grand Jury of Livingston County for violating one of the inhibitions of the Drake Constitution, to-wit: Preaching "with force and arms" without first having taken the test oath. Jonas J. Clark was Judge, John Dixon, County Attorney; John M. Alexander, Foreman of the Grand Jury; and the two prosecuting witnesses were two of the most devoted members of his congregation, Michael O'Brien and Peter Markey.
The test oath was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of Father Cummings, which went up from Louisiana, Mo. and the case against Father Hogan was nolle prosequied at Kirksville where it had gone on change of venue May 27, 1867. Judge William C. Samuels of this City and John Elison of Canton, Mo. were Father Hogan's attorneys.
Father Hogan was a man of the people. Of strong convictions on the questions
of principal, he would cheerfully accept a martyr's fate rather than yield a
hair's breadth, but on all other matters, liberal and tolerant to such a degree
that he made everywhere enduring friends among men of all shades of belief. He
was not a brilliant orator, yet there was in his sermons a ring of truth,
couched in homely sentences, so magnetic and strong that many learned men
outside of the Church were attracted to him. No Catholic priest in Chillicothe
ever had such widespread influence. When he was honored by the appointment of
Bishop, it was a hard struggle for him to tear himself away. Protestants and
Catholics alike felt a personal loss in his departure. He was a grand, good man,
moulded upon the manly plan of righteousness and honor. Now in the evening of
his life, past his three-score and ten, he calmly awaits the sunset, and in
mental vision, views like Moses from Meabs Peak, a land of promise dotted with
smiling cities and happy homes through whose vast forest and rolling prairies he
blazed the line of Christianity and first unfurled the banner of the Cross in
the days of the pioneers.
The name he gave to the South Church was transferred to the North Church when it was built in 1979. The following Priests have had charge of St. Columban's Church:
Rev. John J. Hogan 1857 to 1868
Rev. R. S. Tucker 1866 to 1669
Rev. Gistach 1869 to 1870
Rev. A. J. Abel 1870 to 1872
Rev. J. J. Kennedy 1872 to 1873
Rev. John Hayes 1873 to 1874
Rev. Edward J. Sheehey 1874 to 1878
Rev. Francis Moenning, O. F. M. 1878 to 1882
Rev. Clementine Deyman, O. F. M. 1882 to 1886
Rev. Hugo Fessler, O. F. M. 1886 to 1888
Rev. Fidelis Kaercher, O. F. M. 1888 to 1896
Rev. Honorius Bush, O. F. M. 1896 to the present
During Father Abel's pastorate, the Sisters of St. Joseph came to Chillicothe
and started a day school in the Redding house, East of the Central school
building, where Frank Adams and W. F. Starkey now reside.
In 1873 they completed their beautiful Convent building at the North terminus
of Vine Street where they since have maintained a young ladies academy, whose
many graduates have, by the honors they have won in life, proved the value of
the instructions they received from their cherished Alma Mater. While Father
Sheehey was Priest in Charge, the Catholic Church at Utica was completed, in
1~87. It's patron and chief builder was Flavian Bonderer, one of the noblest men
that ever honored a country by the splendor of his worth, and the stainless
integrity of his honor. For several years he was President of the School Board
in Utica, and in a constituency politically hostile to him, held the office of
road overseer for over thirty years.
The Franciscan Fathers took charge of the Church at Chillicothe after Father
Sheehey, and sent Father Francis to take his place. A small, wiry man of nervous
appearance, yet a very Napoleon in energy and enterprise. He set to work to
revive the Church and within a year after his coming, the beautiful brick church
was completed and St. Joseph School for boys built and equipped, with a cores of
competent teachers in charge. Under his care it prospered as it has never since.
No obstacle could stand in the way of his fervor and energy. He was without
doubt the Bouset of all priests who have been in charge here. His voice was thin
and penetrating, and in listening to his sermons, his careless extempore
beginning would not take hold of the listener at once, when suddenly his eyes
would flash, his little form become intense, a spell would come over the
listener, as in his ears poured the inspired words, poised in classic sentences,
shaped and moulded in the crucible of the born orators soul. I have heard many
distinguished orators and preachers at their best, but none who surpassed him.
He was succeeded in the charge here by Father Clementine, a good natured,
pleasant gentleman and a thorough going practical business man. As Father
Francis' vast enterprises had incurred considerable debt, it became his trouble
to adjust them. He was Chaplain of the Illinois State Penitentiary before he
came here, and when speaking of his burdens, referring to the debts, humorously
declared "he wished they would send him back to the penitentiary."
While he was in charge, the Church at Leopolis, Hogan Settlement, was completed,
being the third Catholic Church in the County.
The new addition to the Church and the Monastery was completed by Father
Fidelis from 1893 to 1895, while other repairs were made on the Church
throughout. Father Fidelis made a splendid record as a builder during his
Immediately after the completion of the new addition, Bishop M. F.Burke, who
had recently taken charge of the new diocese of St. Joseph, decided to divide
the parish at Chillicothe into two congregations. There were many reasons urging
him to take this step. The block of ground upon which the old church stood,
still belonged to the congregation. There was a latent sentiment, among many of
the old time Catholics, that the Church should never have been moved from that
place. There they first worshiped and successfully combated ignorant prejudice
when it required a high order of courage to be a Catholic. There they had
struggled with Father Hogan in ante bellum days and through the troublous days
of the great fratricidal conflict, shared in his hopes and fears and joined in
his fervent prayers that the "mustard seed" of faith scattered by his
hands over the fertile plains of North Missouri might not fail. There their
consecrated dead were sleeping beneath the memorial maples, ever sighing their
solemn requiems, for the cross upon the steeple where tolled the bell at their
passing, as it called to prayer, like their spirits, too had passed away, and in
the space was no sufficient monument to fittingly mark that little plot of earth
that clasped the ashes of their beloved dead. It was wanton sacrilege to think
that this holy spot might revert to profane uses. Bishop Burke had but to hint
at a favorable consideration of the matter when this sentiment, smouldering,
leapt to life urged and begged him to restore the "Old Church." He,
accordingly, decided to divide the parish and made Jackson Street, extended
across the County, the division line. Catholics living South of this line
belonged to the New Congregation , and those living north, the Old. The
Franciscan Order, believing that they had a vested title to all church property
in Chillicothe, strenuously opposed the division of the parish. They appealed
from Bishop Burke to Cardinal Satolli, then the Pope's Legata residing at
Washington. After carefully considering all the claims in The matter, Cardinal
Satolli sustained Bishop Burke. From his decision the Franciscan Order appealed
to Rome. After many months of waiting, the case was being duly considered, a
decision was made, duly attested with the "seal of the Fisherman", and
transmitted to both parties affirming the judgment of Cardinal Satolli, and thus
St. Joseph's Church, at the South side, became a reality, leaping into being in
a day, a child born of a consecrated sentiment to endure forever.
Before the decision was finally reached, Bishop Burke appointed Joseph
Ascheri, pastor of the new parish, and directed him to come to Chillicothe,
organize the congregation and build a church. No better selection could have
been made. A man of uncouth presence, large, angular form, striding steps, out
of thousands none would take him to be a priest. Yet his rough exterior clasped
a heart as warm as ever beat in human breast, and a soul as noble and generous
in its aspirations as ever inspired a hero to dare, or ahand to open to
charity's appeal. On a cold December evening, after having fed a hungry tramp,
still pitying his distressed condition, he gave him his only pair of boots. The
writer dined with him the next day and remarked that the weather was rather cold
for summer slippers. Being informed of the reason, offers were at once made to
go and purchase him a new pair. This increased the Reverend gentleman's
discomfiture, for the facts were that the whole town had been previously
searched but no pair was found large enough to fit him. A native of sunny Italy,
imbued with all the proud traditions of his race, in his work he exemplified his
motto, "Nothing is impossible for a Roman."
He came in March, 1895, and not having any place to hold service, the school
board generously gave him a temporary permit to use the 4th Ward school building
until he could find another suitable place.
The appeal of the Franciscan Fathers embarrassed him for a time in building,
as, under the law they retained possession of the Church lots until the appeal
was determined. As they showed no disposition to waive their rights on this
point, realizing delay was dangerous, he purchased a lot, from Bridget
Cunningham, adjacent to the Old Church lot, and as fast as T. B. Franc's skill
as a builder with all the held he could employ, the building was erected. The
two lots North of the Cunningham lot were owned by Thomas McNally and Eugene
Cashman. They generously donated them to Father Ascheri, and on them, as soon as
the church was completed, he built the beautiful pastoral residence. This also
gave to the congregation all of Block 2 in Graves Third Addition.
In the meantime Bishop Burke thought he would visit his new appointee and see
what progress was made. He found the Reverend gentleman in the vestry of the
newly erected church, filled with the music of saws and hammers pounding away as
if for life itself, indicting a letter to him asking him to come down the
following Sunday and dedicate the New Church.
By vote of the members of the congregation, it was called St. Joseph's Church and the following priests have been in charge:
Rev. Joseph Ascheri 1895 to 1897
Rev. Terrence Ahearn 1897 to 1898
Rev. C. P. Hurley 1898 to 1900
Rev. Francis P. Cummins 1900 to present
After he had completed the church and pastoral residence, Father Ascheri
desiring to visit his childhood home in Southern Italy, resigned from St.
Joseph's diocese and, after his trip across the waters, obtained charge of
Italian congregation in the State of New Jersey, where he now resides.
Of all the members of St. Joseph's church who aided him in his work, two deserve special mention. They are P. C. Curran and Eugene Cashman. Mr. Curran, or "Pat'' as he is called by all, is somewhat of a peculiar genius. An Irishman of the old stock, a distant relative of the world famed orator and lawyer, John Philpot Curran, he seemed to have thrown destiny to the winds, when in the early 60's he bade farewell to the smiling shores of his native Donegal and decided to gain honors in foreign lands as a Globe-trotter, with a pack on his back. Fortune has not been entirely adverse to him, for many good wives in nearly every county in North Missouri swear by Pat's Scotch poplins and Irish Linens. After he had come under the spell of Father Ascheri's enthusiasm he thought no more of linens and poplins but devoted a whole year of unselfish work to building the New Church.
Eugene, or (Yank) Cashman, was by nature a prodigy. On account of poverty in his youth, he received no education and could neither read nor write, left Ireland in his 18th year, landed in New York the day President Lincoln's second call for volunteers was published, enlisted the following day, and for four years with bravery and honors, fought to maintain the Union before he obtained the honors of citizenship. Prior to his marriage
he worked as brakeman on the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, and was always a trusted employee. Time and again he was offered promotion, which he refused to accept. After his marriage he started into the grocery business at his stand across the Washington Street bridge, and soon had an immense trade at his command. He did a business equal to that of any retail store in the city, bought and sold to a large extent on credit, and yet kept it all in his head, and was never known to make a mistake of one cent in any customer's account. He had an original hieroglyphic system of bookkeeping. when a customer called for his account, Yank would take up a little book, turn to a page on which were a few irregular pencil marks, read the amount which was always correct. There was nothing on the page indicating the customer's name, and the system died with him, as he never imparted to a living soul the key to decipher his peculiar records. His untimely death was regretted by all. There were three priests at that time visiting St. Joseph's Church, and each one of them preached an eloquent sermon. It was a fitting tribute. He was a grand, good natured, generous man. There was not a narrow,sordid characteristic in his nature, touchingly devoted to his wife and family, loved by all his friends and neighbors, he died in the summer of his manhood, and by his death St. Joseph's Church lost its first and staunchest friend, and its most liberal patron.
The quaint philosophy of the Irishman, "That it is easy to be a pious
Christian with a cozy corner at the chimney, a daily ration of beef and mutton,
and an income to support a coash and four," is truthfully realized byall
who must struggle and work year in and year out for the most frugal necessities
With all our boasted civilization, the Saviour's prophecy, that the poor will
always be with us, still maintains. Despite the generous hospitality of the
people of this town, they are with us, the poor, the needy, the destitute.
While it is the purpose of this article to confine the narrative to incidents
in the history of the Catholic people of the county, it will be no digression to
step aside for a moment and mention a few names who, in the domain of charity,
have labored well.
For years the good women of Chillicothe have maintained a sort of relief association, the purpose of which was to find out the deserving poor, aid them in sickness and distress, and their work through all the years has been so successful that no article on the work of charity in Chillicothe would be complete without mentioning their names. Those whose unselfish work has come under the writer's notice are as follows:
Mrs. Ida McNally Mrs. Taylor Mahaffey
Mrs. J. B. Tanner Mrs. George Pinkley
Mrs. James Barkley Mrs. J. R. Campbell
Mrs. John Graves Mrs. Jas. L. Davis
Mrs. Lizzie Young Mrs. Adamantine Johnson
Mrs. George Milbank Mrs. W. T. Browning
Mrs. Sol Umphalbaugh Mrs. J. E. Carmichael
There may be many others equally deserving of mention, but the work of these has been so conspicuous and unselfish that no pen can give to each the tribute she deserves.
The work of charity appeals to all men irrespective of race or creed. Charity
is the universal religion of mankind. Before her altar, every hand offers an
oblation and every knee bows. Charity has always been a living faith among the
people of Chillicothe. There was, therefore, no surprise when, in 1887, Father
Hugo suggested to our leading citizens that the Sisters of Charity should have a
Hospital here, that the idea should meet with the most generous encouragement.
All, irrespective of Church, favored the idea and offered su5stantial
The following citizens made large donations to purchase a building:
A. McVey Adam Saale
Wm. McIlwrath W. R. Simpson
Thos. McNally J. C. Kelley
F. H. Hoppe M. E. Schmidt
Peter Burgy M. E. Seidel
August Gladieux Joseph Gladieux
Michael Conway Abe Wallbrunn
J. A. Grace Moses Alexander
John Atwell George Milbank
The Sisters of St. Mary, an organization under the rule of St. Francis, were
accordingly brought here. A suitable building and location was found at the
corner of 11th and Broadway, belonging to Larkin Fields, which they purchased
for $2334.00. In a short time it was fully equipped as a modern hospital and
received its first patient May 17, 1887. Since that time, continuously, the
painted wooden arch over St. Mary's Hospital has been a rainbow of joy to the
eye of every unfortunate human creature within our gates.
The Hospital is conducted strictly on non sectarian lines. All patients are
received, except those afflicted with contagious diseases, and the insane. No
question is asked as to compensation. The poorest receives the same fare and
attention as the wealthiest.
It is now in charge of Mother Veronica, a mild mannered woman who, from her
appearance, one would think too timid to nurse a case of toothache. Yet, day in
and day out, with every room occupied with some sick person, some convalescing,
others in agony of pain, and others with the chill hand of death on their brows,
she patiently and joyfully pursues her chosen way, always calm, always kind, to
the convalescing a word of congratulation, to those in agony of cheer, and to
the dying, a word that comes, as from the distance, as some heart melody of
olden days, that speaks of meetings and greetings, and fills the parting soul
with joy and hope, ere it wings its journey to the stars.
Ah women, in thy noblest missions, how wonderful, in home how beautiful, in charity how sublime. If any say there is nothing noble in Christian self-sacrifice, let him visit Mother Veronica and her eight little Sisters, as they follow their work, caring for the sick and unfortunate, and he will repent of his rashness and sin no more.
Her predecessor was Mother Pia. In stature she was not much larger than her name. Judge O. A. French, when he was President of the County Court stated, that until he met her he never believed a little woman could manage any enterprise. The Judge, referred strictly to business enterprises, for early in his life he once met a little woman who has been associated with him ever since, and whatever kind of an enterprise the Judge himself may be, she has managed him very well.
Judge French was a great friend to the Hospital, and his successor, Judge Jas. Hale, with the other members of the Court, have continued the same policy. Under Mother Pia's management a large addition was built to the Hospital, and a modern operating rooms at a cost of over $1200.00, completed.
Among the citizens who took a prominent part in assisting her in these improvements: Edward Carney, C. G. Henry and Adamantine Johnson deserve special mention. They were in the front in obtaining the necessary assistance and, like their work in every field of life, were unusually successful.
THE PIONEER CATHOLICS
To give due mention to each member of the Catholic Church in this County would fill a volume. Is this narrative only a short mention can be made of the pioneers.
Closely following the advent of Father Hogan, came the families of Adam and Michael Saale from Alsaac, France, in the autumn of 1857. No family has been more earnest in their devotion to the Catholic Church than they. Their work and zeal for nearly half a century has been so conspicuous as to merit them the praise, not only of Catholics, but people outside the Church. From their little store building on the south side of the square, it has been a familiar scene for the last twenty years to see every morning the Misses Saales with their sister, Mrs. Joseph Schmaltz, walking with Rosaries in hand on their way to early Mass. Every day in storm or in sunshine, they passed the same way at the same time. Of them I recall a pathetic incident. A few years ago, I was standing one morning on the east side of the Square talking to a prominent business man, not a Catholic, and he spoke of them, remarked how devoted they were to their religion, how for years he had seen them pass daily on their way to church, and noted there must be something wrong as they had not passed that morning. We looked across the Square, true they were not coming. But there was crepe on the door of the little store building. For one of these devoted sisters, that daily journey was ended. She had passed to her reward.
The families of Sebastian Burgy and August Gladieux soon followed, the latter settled three miles northeast of Chillicothe and still owns the fine farm he settled on, in the early 60's. All of Rich Hill Township was, at that time, forest and prairie. The roads angled across what now are finely improved farms.
In the same vicinity, at about the same time, came the families of Morgan Roach, Richard and James Slattery, Thos. Gorman (note: I am quite sure this should have read John Gorman, G. C.) Edward and Joseph Martin. The latter two were, at that time, stalwart bachelors, lived in a log cabin which still stands on Joseph Martin's farm. They showed all emigrants pioneer hospitality. Their cabin had an upstairs, a sort of parlor bedroom for special occasions, and many an emigrant family was stowed away in its commodious apartments until they could find a place to settle. Joe and Ed were genial hosts and by their hospitality and blarney escaped the burdens of the kitchen by utilizing the dexterity of their lady guests in cooking.
The family of Lawrence Martin came from Mercer County in the latter 60's and settled on the banks of Medicine Creek in the thick, impenetrable woods, on a ten acre piece of ground he had purchased of August Gladieux.
Peter Markey settled on a 70 acre farm west of Joe and Ed Martin, about the same time, but soon moved to Chillicothe, and was afterwards elected County Surveyor and served two terms.
Over in the arms of Medicine and Muddy Creeks, about three miles northeast of Slagle bridge, settled the family of Patrick Hogan. They came from Canada. A large number of his countrymen soon followed him and settled in his vicinity. As he was the first, the colony was called after him, the "Hogan Settlement" and today it constitutes one of the most prosperous old communities in the County.
Lawrence Kinsella settled East of Muddy Creek, on the Wheeling Ridge, in the early 60's and his family still occupy the old homestead where he settled when all around him was primeval prairie.
The building of the Wabash Railroad in 1868 brought many Catholics to the County. Many of them left off railroading and took up farms in this county and have since become wealthy. Most of them settled southeast of Chillicothe and most prominent among them were Peter Manning, Moses McBride, Michael Slattery, Bartley Cavanaugh, Patrick Hoolahan and Hugh Gilchrist. John O'Dowd, a leading pioneer Catholic, had previously settled in that vicinity, having come to this county in 1858. He afterwards moved to Chillicothe and was engaged in the grocery business for a time, and now lives a retired life at Brookfield.
The families of John Casey (I think this should read Dan Casey, G. C.) and Walter Wall, came here in the latter 60's from Fayette County, Ohio. They afterwards moved to Chillicothe and are now residing here. Over in the Mounds, east of Shoal Creek and south of Grand River, at an early day was a large Catholic settlement. Nicholas Donnelly, a wealthy prospector from Australia, bought a large farm in that vicinity at an early date. He was followed by Peter Tierney and Michael O'Kiefe, who purchased farms adjacent to him. The O'Kiefe family moved away over twenty years ago. After the death of Mr. Tierney, his family moved to Chillicothe. One of his daughters is now Mrs. Dennis Brice, and another Mrs. Frank Carberry, and the other members now reside in St. Joseph, Missouri.
Wm. Feeney came to this county at the close of the war from Ohio, and settled on a farm in that neighborhood, but moved from there in 1878 to Hogan Settlement, where he is now a prosperous farmer, and although nearly 80 years old, is still hale and hearty, the youngest old man that ever left Ireland to seek his fortune in the land of the free.
Edward Dorney, father of the present City Marshall, settled there at an early date, and his children still occupy the large farm he entered, and hard by live Michael Smith and Michael Ruddy, with their families, the sole survivors of the Pioneer Catholics of that Settlement.
The Bonderer families came to Utica before the war. Following them came the family of Martin Dietrich and Jacob Shroeder. They were thrifty Germans of the old stock and soon, by economy and industry, acquired a comfortable maintenance in life. Their families still reside there. The Dietrich brothers being prosperous business men.
South of Utica, at an early day, settled the families of John Murphy and Patrick Anderson. They both soon became large landowners in that vicinity. Mr. Murphy and the Anderson brothers still live there and are well to do farmers.
The first Catholics to settle in the forks of the river were William McCarthy, Michael Donohoe and Andy Cusick. Wm. McCarthy has long since departed this life, but some of his sons still live hard by the old homestead where he settled at an early day on the South suburb of ''Poosey". Michael Donohoe and Andy Cusick still survive and both own comfortable homes in a rugged stretch of country, about four miles northwest of Spring Hill.
Northwest of Chillicothe, on this side of Grand River, on the Springhill road, Michael Conway settled on a finely improved farm over thirty-five years ago. Mr. Conway has followed many trades but has failed in none. Originally a ship carpenter, he, early in life, turned his attention to stone work and masonry, later to farming, and now with eighty years behind him, he lives a retired life here, loved and respected by all, his work like his character, honest and substantial, every part.
Coming to Chillicothe, the families of Joseph Pierson, Thomas McNally, John Fitzpatrick, Edward Carney, Jacob Mohrs, Patrick Kirby and Michael Welsh have been so conspicuous in all public enterprises that their names are household words, and in this short narrative only a passing mention of them can be made.
Joseph Pierson was a large property owner here and for a long time operated a brewery east of town. He always kept a great many men working for him, was a generous employer, a good neighbor with a big heart and an open hand for every enterprise that tended to build up or promote the welfare of Chillicothe. His son Frank, who at his death succeeded him in the management of his business, has continued his father's policy as a generous employer and an enterprising, progressive citizen.
Thomas McNally was twice elected Treasurer of Livingston County, and in his lifetime held many offices of public trust. His public record, like his private character, was always honorable and above criticism. He was frequently solicited by his party to accept other offices of public trust, but he always refused, preferring the independence of private life to the honors and emoluments of office.
John Fitzpatrick moved to this city from Kidder, Mo. about twenty-five years ago. He formerly lived in Canada where his father, who was a schoolteacher, followed his profession. His father taught in the schools of Canada for over forty successive years and for the faithful services rendered by him in that calling, was granted a life pension by the Canadian Government.
Of the pioneers among the railroad men, the most venerable and stately surviving representative is Thomas Bumster. If there is any honor in being satisfied in life with our station, no matter how humble it may be, Thomas Bumster deserves the palm for being the hero of that condition. For over fifty years he has worked continuously on the railroad as a section hand and never has sought promotion, but has refused when offered. If there were anything like gratitude in railroad corporations, they would grant "Tom" a pension. Over fifty years a section laborer. A longer span than that which raised an Alexander to conquer the world. The momentous deeds of Caesar, Napoleon, and Charlemagne lasted not over a moiety of that time. Yet through all these years, faithful to his trust, Tom has stuck to his shovel and felt a conscious pride in his work, as he saw the mighty trains fly by, with their loads of humanity and garnered wealth, that his hands helped to smooth and render staple the iron road that leaped the deepened chasms of the valley and pierced the everlasting hills to make way for the vast and ever increasing burdens of modern commerce.
Much more might be said of other pioneer Catholics, whose names to the writer are not now recalled, but space is limited. They were a splendid citizenship, had all the sturdy characteristics of a brave, heroic people, and their descendants, now numbering in the county over fifteen hundred souls, constitute one of the most prosperous and law-abiding portion of our growing population.
THE PRIEST IN CHARGE
The influence of the Catholic Church in this County has been, as it is everywhere, for law and order, good citizenship and upright living. The records of our courts in this county show that out of hundreds and hundreds of divorce cases, there determined in the last fifty years, not over a dozen applications were made by Catholics. And in those few cases, the applicant sought the decree for the purpose of protecting his property rights, and not for the purpose of marrying again.
As a rule without exception, the Catholic people of this County are honest, pay their debts when due, have a high and chivalric sense of honor, and a consecrated devotion to the welfare of their homes and kindred, are good neighbors and stand shoulder to shoulder with all other citizens in promoting every public enterprise. Much of the praise of the splendid citizenship they represent is due to the potent influence and faithful, but yet unnoticed, labors of the Priests who have been in charge.
All the Priests who have had charge here, have been broadminded men, whose characters were without spot or stain, and whose integrity was never questioned. In a long span of over half a century no word of scandal has ever been whispered about any of them. They always labored faithfully in their chosen field of life, never resorted to offensive methods of proselyting, and made a reputation for their congregation, to use the language of another, "as the Church that tends strictly to its own business". Many of them possessed much of the happy side of humanity. They were all pleasant, big-souled men.
Father Sheehey was a great horse fancier. He would forget Theology any day to discuss the good qualities of the "noble beast". His congregation presented him with a splendid riding horse that made a moderate gait, but promised no record breaking qualities for speed. While riding one day with a parishioner, it made his blood boil to see his noble charger repeatedly outstripped by his companion's horse. The other horse was a mustang that went a rough, sea-saw racking gait and for a time made wonderful speed, but after a time w3uld change into a sky-hopping trot that no rider could endure. If any goading protest was made, the animal would resort to bucking so stubborn and persistent that for a saddle horse he was utterly worthless. Still, His Reverence believed he saw some wonderful qualifies in him, and after he had ridden him awhile, bantered his companion for a trade. After a short parley an even swap was made. Saddles and bridles were transferred. The parishioner believed that when he had experienced a few of the eccentricities of his new steed, he would ask to rescind the trade, but not he. On the contrary, he boasted of the good trade he had made. As noon had the temerity to tell him he had been swindled, the affair passed off as a great joke, most of the congregation secretly admiring the sporting mettle of their new Pastor. At last His Reverence took a trusted member into his confidence, asked to sell the horse if possible, if not to give him away, but do it quietly as he did not want the congregation to know he had been beaten in a horse trade.
The saddest event in the history of the Church here was the death of Father Hayes in 1874; the only priest who died while in charge at this place. He was a young man, just ordained for the Priesthood, a graduate of the leading University of Ireland, the only son of a widowed mother, his sad taking off caused universal sorrow. Against the prayers and entreaties of his mother after his ordination, he was assigned for work in the United States, and attached to the diocese of St. Joseph. In leaving Ireland, his devoted mother wild with sorrow and distraction, followed him to the landing and tried forcibly to hold him back. "Do not go", she cried, "O, do not go, you are going away to die." She could not be consoled. With aching heart and sobs and tears, he broke her clasp, placed her in the arms of attending friends, kissed her tear-wet cheek, took one last look upon her saintly face, and upon the green shores of his native Ireland, loathe, O, so loathe to leave them, and yet to the call of duty true, with that sublime spirit that has ever animated the Catholic missionary in every land, he closed his heart-book upon that sad, sad page, set his face to the future, recalling the grand sentiment of St. Francis Xavier:
"Hush you, close the dismal story,
What to me are oceans wild!
Heroes on their path to glory
Mind not pastimes of a child."
But that mother was right. He came away to die. Chillicothe was his first charge. After having labored here but a few months and laid the foundation for years of useful work, and having impressed all by his earnest, saintly life, at the full dawn of his useful manhood the summons came, and he answered from the harness, "ready", and passed forever to the "Dreamland of the far away."
When it flashed over the wires to that broken-hearted mother in Ireland, the tidings of his death, quicker than the lightning's wing, her love and instinct had learned all, detailed all the facts surrounding his death and knew them the moment he died.
By his death the congregation lost one of its ablest priests. A large funeral followed his body to the cemetery at that time on East Third Street. Solemn requiem services were held. A memorial tribute was presented by the young ladies of St. Joseph's Academy. It was written and read by Miss Annie Roach, now Mrs. William Lightner of Rich Hill Township. She was at that time, a member of the graduating class, and before her marriage was one of the leading teachers in the public schools of the county. Her talent as a teacher and scholar are commended by all.
Father J. J. Kennedy, now resident priest at Carrollton, Mo. since leaving Chillicothe, has gained high distinction as an author. He has published several popular works. One of his books, "Christmas Greetings" in the possession of the writer, is a pleasant little volume of rare literary merit. It shows that he possesses many accomplishments outside of Theology, is an ardent wooer of the muses, and has a happy faculty of putting his thoughts in either verse or prose.
Some criticism has been made at times, that many of the priests here have been foreigners and not sufficiently conversant with the English Language for the requirements of the mission. Whatever truth there may be in this it does not lie now, for both Father Honorius, pastor of St. Columban's Church and Father Cummins, Pastor of St. Joseph's are native Missourians. The latter is certainly to the manor born. A native of Gentry County, he was born on a farm by the banks of Grand River in 1871. He received his early education in the schools of that County. After this, he was for a while, attending the Christian Brothers College at St. Joseph, Mo. and the College of the Benedictine Fathers at Atchison, Kansas. He then took a trip to Europe and took a course at the University of Innsbruck, Austria. After his ordination he received a very lucrative appointment as Chaplain for an Austrian nobleman. He, however, could not shake off the Democratic ways and customs he had learned from childhood in his native Missouri, and these were constantly clashing with the obsolete aristocratic ideas of his patron. The friction between them on this point soon became irritating. So, Father Cummins thought if it was his mission to save souls, his work would be more pleasing to the Master if he saved one free born, liberty Loving Missourian than if he saved forty benighted Austrian aristocrats. He, therefore, resigned the nobleman's service, returned to Missouri, and after a few temporary charges was appointed by Bishop Burke, Rector of St. Joseph's Church at Chillicothe. Since coming here he has made many friends, has successfully met all the financial obligations of the congregation, and organized a parish school.
Miss Ella Casey, an experienced public school teacher, is in charge. The school is now beginning its second year. After the first year's work, two pupils, Nellie Hogan and Margaret Cashman, Successfully passed the examination and were admitted to the High School in the Chillicothe Public Schools.
During his stay in Europe, he traveled extensively in France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Austria, and visited many of their historic places of interest. He is a pleasant, cultivated gentleman with a rich fund of anecdotes and stories always at hand to entertain, and by his travels abroad, has made himself conversant with the economic and political conditions of the Old World.
This article is written at the request of the Committee in charge of this little book. The names of the Committee are: Mr. Arthur J. Fitzpatrick, Misses Ella Casey and Mary Wall. The idea of publishing a book to raise money for church expenses is certainly unique and original. In many ways it is better than most of the schemes resorted to for that purpose, and the Committee deserves great credit for the success of their enterprise.
In gathering the facts, I have been at some trouble in getting accurate information on all points. The Committee has aided me in every way in their power in obtaining them, and in their approval of my work, I am amply paid for the trouble.
Trusting it may also have the approval of the indulgent reader, I will close.
C. BOEHNER & CO.
Keep everything good to eat in the Meat, Fish and Poultry Line, and ask only a trial to convince you that we keep the best and sell the cheapest.
Phone 13, Chillicothe, Missouri
ASPER & GILL
Attorneys, Abstractors, Farm Loans and Insurance Agents. Real Estate.
No. 812 Barney Building Webster St. Phone 269 Chillicothe, Missouri
When in the city and in need of anything in the Hardware line, step into our store and examine our stock, the most complete and extensive in the city. Cook stoves and ranges of the best make and guaranteed to be unsurpassed. Heating stoves "Beauties" for wood, soft and hard coal of the very best manufacture, fuel saving and pleasant home makers. Call and see them and be convinced. Builders, Hardware and Shelf goods Tin ware, Wagon wood material and iron. Everything to be found in an up-to-date Hardware store.
HOPPE-TAYLOR HDWE CO.
East Side Square Chillicothe, Missouri
F. A. DAVIS
Wholesale and Retail Grocer Sells Good Things to Eat
Phone 93 West Side
ALL BEEF is prime beef here. If it
isn't the best beef, we don't keep it. Same with veal and pork and mutton. Customers who never think of buying elsewhere - - who have been with us for years, are pretty good evidence that our meats suit particular people.
JOHNS & VENABLE
McNALLY'S, Call Carriage, Bus
and Transfer Line
Calls made to any part of the city, day or night with carriage or bus.
The reliable line between Hotels and Depots. Baggage transfer complete.
JACK McNALLY, PROP.
Office opposite Leeper House
HO TO J. D. JOHNSON & CO.
"Leaders in Low Prices" For Flour and Feed
Phone 86 611 Calhoun St.
SOUTH SIDE DRUG STORE
The Finest Line of Perfumery and Toilet Articles in the City.
Dr. M. A. Gaugh, Proprietor
New Cloaks, Suits and Dress Goods
"BRANT'S SHOES ARE BETTER"
THE WILLIAMS VOCAL SCHOOL
SHAKESPEAREAN METHOD WHICH IS PURELY ITALIAN
Walbrunn Building. Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday
McINTURFF & STEWART
Attorneys, Lawyers and Abstracters
Specialty made of Conveyancing and settling estates in the Probate Court.
Loans made on best of terms and without delay.
A GOOD MEAL AND A GOOD PLACE TO EAT
IS A HARD PROPOSITION UNLESS YOU HAVE TRIED
J. F. HEGER'S RESTAURANT AND BAKERY
Dainty lunches and generous meals at best prices have made his place famous.
Everything in season.
J. MOHRS & SON
LEADING FURNITURE DEALERS
LARGEST STOCK, LOWEST PRICES
FUNERAL DIRECTORS, EMBALMERS
SOUTH SIDE SQUARE Chillicothe, Missouri
SCRUBY G & I CO. Headquarters
for Hard and Soft Coal and Northern Potatoes
Dealer in all kinds of Hardware, Stoves, Tinware,
Guns and Ammunition and High Grade Cutlery.
RIGHT PRICES Correct goods will please.
Batta is the man. Try him on anything in Hardware, Enameled ware, Copper
and all kinds of Cooking utensils and stoves.
West Side Square Chillicothe, Missouri
Stationer and News Agent
School and Miscellaneous Books, Wall Paper, etc.,
East Side Square Chillicothe, Missouri
CARPENTER & STARKEY
ONE PRICE CLOTHIERS & FURNISHERS
S. E. Corner Square Chillicothe, Missouri
J. FITZPATRICK & SON
Granite and Marble, Largest Stock
, Lowest Prices
Dealers in Pine Lumber, Sash Doors, Shingles, Blinds, Lath Lime, etc.
Tel. 261Office and yards, 427 South Locust
Attorney at Law
Office in New Walbrunn Building, Chillicothe, Missouri
THE CATHOLIC TRIBUNE IS THE ONLY
PAPER ON EARTH THAT GIVES GENERAL CATHOLIC NEWS TOGETHER WITH THE CATHOLIC NEWS OF THE DIOCESE OF ST. JOSEPH, AND THAT IS WHERE YOU LIVE.
IRISH AMERICAN BUILDING
ST. JOSEPH, MISSOURI
THE CATHOLIC REGISTER
It is bright and cheap, it is Catholic and for Missouri
300 west 10th Street, Kansas City, Missouri
PURE GRAND RIVER ICE
Delivered to any part of the city by FRANK PIERSON. Engage your ice for the summer. Delivery prompt and regular. Low Prices BEST POP "OUR OWN"
Good cool, summer drink. All flavors on hand constantly. Sold by the case. Cheapest and best. Telephone 641
Call and see me. Chillicothe, Missouri
Attorney and Counselor at Law NOTARY PUBLIC
Office 2nd Floor Weber Bldg.
DR. DAVID GORDON
Physician & Surgeon
Office over George Braun's Drug Store
Residence North Locust St. Office Tel. 125
DR. L. E. TRACY
PHYSICIAN & SURGEON
Front rooms over Sipple Clothing Store
Residence 1003 Washington St.
Calls promptly attended night and day.
GEO. E. BRAUN, DRUGGIST
Drugs, Paints, Oils, Varnishes, Painters Supplies, Perfumery, Toilet Articles, Patent Medicines, Combs, Brushes, Soaps and all Druggists' Sundries.
Prescriptions a specialty.
519 Locust St., Chillicothe, Missouri
"Have stood the test of time." They will show you the best and most
complete line of hdwe. in the city. Guaranteed goods in all lines.
Nickel and Enamel ware, Stoves
and ranges of all kinds. Sporting goods etc.
Call upon us and we will show you what honest dollars well expended will do.
EAST SIDE SQUARE
L. A. MARTIN
Attorney at Law, Chillicothe, Missouri
When in Chillicothe call on Kate McGuire and Sister for the best and latest style goods the market affords LOWEST PRICES. Will not be undersold. Come and be convinced. Their motto "Quick Sales and small profits".
1. Medical, surgical and electrical treatment of general diseases.
2. Diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat.
3. Diseases peculiar to women
4. Private diseases of man
5. Diseases of children
Special treatment for radical cure,
catarrh, deafness, granulated sore eyes, piles, rupture, goiter, hydrocele varicocele and cancer. Home treatment at moderate cost for chronic diseases of every nature. Correspondence invited
Elmore W. Murray, M. D. Carrie Murray, M. D.
DRS. MURRAY & MURRAY
Telephone 94 Chillicothe, Missouri
JOHN H. TAYLOR
Attorney and Counselor at Law
Prosecuting Attorney, Livingston County Chillicothe, Missouri
FARM IMPLEMENTS OF ALL KINDS AT
SCRUBY'S G & I CO.
M. L. England, Jeweler
Our Motto "HONEST GOODS, LOWEST PRICES"
Time Repairing a Specialty
. Give us a call
Lyell's Book Store
West Side Chillicothe, Missouri
EYLENBURG & BISHOP
Dealers in LIVE AND DRESSED POULTRY, Fruits, Nuts, Etc.
Corner Calhoun and Elm Sts. Chillicothe, Missouri U.S.A.
J. J. JARBOE
Dealer in, and Manufacturer of Fine Hand Made Team and Buggy Harnesses. Light Harnesses and Repairing a Specialty. All goods at Cost Prices for next sixty days.
OEHLER & ASHBY
Over Fair Store, Rooms 2 & 3
G & I CO. STANHOPES ETC.
C. E. DIENST, GROCER
603 E. Webster St. Phone 87
Fancy Groceries a Specialty Everything kept in season
Phone orders receive prompt attention
CHILLICOTHE WATER COMPANY
Phone 30 707 Washington St. Chillicothe, Mo.
C. A. SMITH
Funeral Director & Embalmer Phone 142, Fitzpatrick Bldg.
John F. Hawley & Co.
Most cordially invite you and your friends to examine the New Century Styles of Sorosis, Standard of the World, a Model for every foot. A style for every occasion.
WM. RUDDY'S North Side Meat Market
You will find everything eatable in Fresh and Cured Meats.
SUMMERVILLE'S PRIDE FLOUR
Always Uniform, Always Best.
WM. SUMMERVILLE'S SONS
FRANK SHEETZ AND SONS, Lawyers
New York Store Bldg. Chillicothe, Missouri
JOHN L. SCHMITZ
Attorney and Counselor at Law
Office over Citizens Natl. Bank Chillicothe, Missouri
OSCAR L. SMITH
Attorney and Counselor Chillicothe, Missouri
BAZEL J. MEEK
Dealer in Real Estate, Lands bought and sold
Rooms 1, 2, & 3 Hornback Bldg., Chillicothe, Missouri
(pupil of Emil Liebling, Chicago)
Concert and Recitals, Teacher of Piano
No. 1318 Fair Street Chillicothe, Missouri