|Other People | Frank J. Bradley | Olive Rambo Cook | Jerry Litton ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 2. Biographies
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
William Frederick Williams is a member of an old pioneer family of Livingston county and the owner of a valuable farm of four hundred acres on sections 24 and 31, Jackson township, being born near Springhill, Missouri, December 14, 1866. He is a son of James Harve and Mary E. (Sterlings) Williams. The father came here with his parents, who were among the earliest pioneers. He took up a tract of land covered with brush and timber, and giving to its clearing his incessant labor he gradually brought his tract, acre by acre, under the plow and put his land under cultivation, bringing it to a high state of productivity and becoming one of the prominent agriculturists of the section. At the time of the Civil war he followed the call for troops and enlisted for service. In his political affiliations he was a democrat and a public-spirited man, always taking an intelligent interest in such matters as affected the public weal. He died February 3, 1905, at the age of seventy-six years and found his last resting place in the Edgewood cemetery, his passing being deeply regretted by a large circle of friends who highly esteemed him for his many good qualities of mind and character. His wife survives him and now makes her home at Brush, Colorado.
William Frederick Williams acquired his education in the district schools near his father's farm, abandoning his lessons at the age of eighteen years. Early he became acquainted with the minor duties on the home place and after leaving school ably assisted his father in the operation of the property until be reached his majority. He then bought one hundred and forty acres which he brought to a high state of cultivation, and as his means increased gradually acquired more land until his farm comprised four hundred and twenty acres, this property by its appearance denoting the prosperity of its owner. He has since erected a handsome residence and built a substantial barn, also making a number of other improvements and instituting equipment that has greatly enhanced the value of his establishment. He follows general farming and also extensively specializes in stock-raising, the latter branch of his activity returning to him gratifying profits.
On January 29, 1891, Air. Williams was united in marriage to Miss Katie Moseley, a daughter of Alexander S. and Fannie (Guthridge) Moseley, the former a well known agriculturist of Jackson township, but the latter passed away on November 1, 1875 . Mr. and Mrs. Williams are the parents of four children: Ira Bertis, a student at Jackson University; Velma F. and J. Howard, attending district school; and Burl S., five years of age.
Mr. Williams gives his allegiance to the democratic party, of which he is a steadfast supporter. Taking a deep interest in educational matters, he has efficiently served for ten years as school director. His religious affiliations are with the Methodist Episcopal church, South, he being an active and helpful member of the local organization. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Knights of the Maccabees. One of the substantial men in Jackson township, the success of Mr. Williams must largely be attributed to his incessant industry, his close attention to detail and his progressive methods, and while he has attained to individual success and prosperity, he has been a factor in the general agricultural advancement of this section and has been a constructive force in the development of agricultural standards.