|Other People | Frank J. Bradley | Olive Rambo Cook | Jerry Litton ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 2. Biographies
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
Struggling against adverse conditions and finding his way over obstacles, James C. Maxwell has become one of the representative farmers of Jackson township, Livingston county, where he owns a valuable farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 30. Coming to to this locality in 1890, he was born in Daviess county, Missouri, July 6, 1863, and is a son of Isaac N. and Emily J. (Hamilton) Maxwell. The father came from Tazewell county, Virginia, to Grundy county, Missouri, in 1860. He was well known in the sections where he made his home and highly respected, passing away August 19, 1912, being buried in Antioch cemetery, in Grundy county. His wife, who survives, now makes her home with Mrs. Jane Buzzard, in Livingston county, our subject having taken care of his parents for the past five years. They had eight children, Jane, Annie, Ellie, Livie, Emma, Mary, Stella and James C. The family is of old English origin, having come to this country at an early day.
James C. Maxwell acquired his education in an old log schoolhouse in the neighborhood of his father's place, laying aside his textbooks at the age of sixteen years as instruction was not of the best and the schoolhouse, itself, in poor condition. He subsequently worked out, seeking employment along any line in which he could make an honest dollar, and it often took him three days to earn that amount. He so worked in various employments until twenty years of age, when he married and subsequent thereto again worked out as a farm hand for a few years, after which, having secured the means by thrift and industry, he rented a farm until he bought forty acres of land. To this he gave his assiduous attention and as his returns increased purchased another forty acre tract. Making four hundred dollars on his first tract and doubling his investment on his second, he disposed of his property and bought his present farm in October, 1906, where he has since been following general agricultural pursuits and stock-raising. He has built two substantial barns on the farm and has made other important improvements and instituted essential equipment, thereby increasing the value of his property.
On March 23, 1893, Mr. Maxwell was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Robinson, a daughter of Anthony and Annie (Stitth) Robinson, the former a farmer who had come from Tennessee to Grundy county. Both parents of Mrs. Maxwell are deceased and are buried in Bethel cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell are the parents of four children of whom Maudie died at the age of five years and is buried in the Bethel cemetery. Orville is assisting his father in the work of the farm and Bertha and Ruby are both attending school, making their home with their parents.
In his political affiliations Mr. Maxwell is a democrat and takes an intelligent and lively interest in the issues of the day and the public questions of the locality. Deeply interested in the cause of education, he has for a number of years served successfully as a director of the school board and has also filled efficiently the position of road supervisor. His religious affiliation is with the Methodist Episcopal church, South, to which he gives his material and moral support. Fraternally he belongs to Camp No. 4176, of the Modern Woodmen of America, while his son, Orville, is also a Modern Woodman, affiliated with Camp No. 3834. A self-made man in the best sense of the word, Mr. Maxwell is highly esteemed for the position which he has attained and his inherent qualities which have made that attainment possible. Popular and well liked, he has many friends in this section who regard him with good-will and confidence.