|Other People | Frank J. Bradley | Olive Rambo Cook | Jerry Litton ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 2. Biographies
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
That this is the land of opportunity for foreign or native-born alike is evidenced in the career of George H. Mast, who as a boy in his teens came from Germany with his parents and is now the owner of a valuable farm of four hundred and thirty acres located on section 19, Jackson township, Livingston county, being considered one of the substantial men among the agriculturists of this section. Mr. Mast was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, September 20, 1843, and came here in 1871 from Ohio. He is a son of Mathias and Barbara Mast, the former of whom passed away in Ohio and is buried in the Irvill cemetery in Muskingum county, that state. The mother passed away in Germany before the family left for the new world and found her last resting place in Wurtemberg, Germany.
Mr. Mast received his education partly in Germany and partly in Nashport, Ohio, laying aside his text-books at the age of eighteen years. Up to that time he remained with his father but subsequently obtained work among the farmers of the vicinity and remained so employed until he came to Missouri in 1871 and settled on the property upon which he is now residing. When he came here the land was but a wilderness and it took all his energy, industry and patience to clear his property from timber and brush, bring the same under the plow and gradually develop from prairie land a productive farm, When he first settled here he acquired forty acres of land and as the same gradually became bearing and brought him returns, increased his holdings from time to time until he now owns four hundred and thirty acres, on which he engages in general farming and stock-raising. He has erected a handsome residence on his land and made a number of valuable improvements, instituting such machinery and equipment as is considered indispensable to up-to-date agriculture. Persevering and industrious, he never let up in his efforts until he now owns one of the finest properties in this section of Livingston county.
At Nashport, Ohio, on January 18, 1866, Mr. Mast was united in marriage to Miss Melinda Eichhorn, a daughter of Frederick and Rosina Eichhorn, both of whom passed away and are buried in the Frazeysburg cemetery in Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Mast were the parents of eleven children, of whom Nellie died in infancy and found burial in the Curtis graveyard in Sampsell township, this county. The other members of the family are: Frank, who died at the age of thirty-one years, leaving a widow and four children and finding his last resting place in Mount Olive cemetery in Sampsell township; Mary C., who resides at home; Katie, the wife of Richard Hargrave, a farmer in Jackson township; John M., who follows agricultural pursuits in Jackson county, Oregon; George E., who also follows that occupation in Irving, Oregon; R. Elizabeth, who married Alfred Dryden, a farmer in Sampsell township; Harvey J., an agriculturist of Henry county, Missouri; Scott W., who also follows that occupation in Jackson township; Ira D., farming in Pawnee county, Kansas; and Melinda, at home.
Public-spirited and progressive, the advent of George H. Mast in Livingston county has not only been the beginning of a successful career for himself but has been of value in the general advancement along agricultural lines, for he has been instrumental in raising agricultural standards here and has improved upon methods. thereby becoming a constructive factor in building up the district. His success must be largely attributed to his unceasing industry and energy in carrying to fruition every undertaking, his thrift and frugality and, last but not least, to the assistance of his faithful helpmate, who shared with him the hardships of pioneer life and as the head of the household helped to make possible the prosperity Mr. Mast is now enjoying.