|Other People | Frank J. Bradley | Olive Rambo Cook | Jerry Litton ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 2. Biographies
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
Lewis C. Marlow, a member of a family of Irish origin long prominent in Livingston county, is the owner of Prairie Center Stock Farm comprising three hundred acres on sections 4, 5, and 8, in Jackson township, this being one of the most valuable farming properties in this district. A native of Livingston county, Mr. Marlow was born in Jackson township, January 9, 1857, his parents being William H. and Amanda (Hutchison) Marlow. The father who came here in the early days of 1853 became a prominent and well known man in the county. He was one of those who volunteered for service in the Civil war and valiantly fought under General Price. A successful man, highly esteemed, he passed away June 24, 1911, at the venerable age of eighty-one years, finding his last resting place in Edgewood cemetery. His wife who is surviving at the age of seventy-six years, makes her home with her two sons, our subject and his brother.
Lewis C. Marlow received his education in the Blackburn district school which he left at the age of twenty years. He had, however, for a number of years before that time, during nine months every year, assisted his father in the work of the farm, and after definitely laying aside his textbooks he continued to stay with his parents until his marriage, acquiring valuable knowledge in the methods and details details of agriculture. He then bought one hundred acres of land on which he engaged in farming, and upon his father's death inherited the other two hundred acres which now make up the Prairie Center Stock Farm. Following methods most thorough and most modern, Mr. Marlow has attained success along the line in which he specializes, being extensively engaged in the raising of live stock. He has made a number of valuable improvements upon the farm, building substantial barns and erecting a handsome residence. His fields are planted to the grain best suited to soil and climate and part of his property is under pasturage. His fields by their appearance betray the excellent management of Mr. Marlow and its attendant prosperity, and all of his acres are well fenced and subdivided into suitable tracts.
In Jackson township, Livingston county, on March 16. 1880, Mr. Marlow was married to Miss Jennie Ramsey, a daughter of James and Lennie Ramsey, the former of whom was a prominent farmer of this district who passed away in 1897, his wife following him in death in 1901. Both were highly esteemed for their many good qualities of heart and mind and enjoyed the friendship of many. They found their last resting place on the old Ramsey homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Marlow, are the parents of four children: Howard, a graduate of Chillicothe Business College who now follows the carpenter's trade in Jerome, Arizona; Fay, also a graduate of that school who is the wife of Robert Murphy, a merchant tailor of Chillicothe; Edith, who is pursuing a course at the Chillicothe Business College; and Darrell, attending district school.
Besides his extensive stock-raising and farm interests, Mr. Marlow is also connected with the First National Bank of Chillicothe in which institution he holds a considerable block of stock. For some time he was director of the First National Bank of Jamesport, Missouri, being one of its charter members, but of late has severed connections with this bank. Public-spirited, he is well informed upon all questions arising on public issues and takes a deep, interest in matters affecting the local conditions, having participated in local governmental affairs as a member of the township board and also director of the local school board, giving thereby evidence of his deep concern for the cause of education. His fraternal affiliations connect him with the Masonic order in which he is a member of the lodge, while he also is carried on the membership roll of the Knights of Pythias. A successful man in the true sense of the word, he has been a factor in the agricultural development of Livingston county where he has done no little service in promoting stock-raising interests and while he has been constructive in advancing agricultural methods he has attained to a position which places him among the most substantial men of the county.