|Other People | Frank J. Bradley | Olive Rambo Cook | Jerry Litton ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 2. Biographies
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
One of the foremost representatives of agricultural interests in Livingston county is Homer J. Kesler, who in partnership with his mother owns a valuable farming property of eight hundred and seventy acres located on sections 16, 20 and 21, Jackson township. A native of Livingston county, he was born on the place on which he is now residing, September 1, 1869, and is a son of John R. and Alice (Rose) Kesler. The paternal grandfather had the distinction of having been the first settler in this section. The father was an industrious and energetic man, attaining remarkable success along agricultural lines and enjoying the esteem and regard of his neighbors and contemporaries. He passed away June 10, 1898, at the age of sixty-five years, greatly mourned by his family and a large circle of friends, and found a last resting place in Bethel cemetery, Jackson township. The maternal grandfather came to Livingston county in 1846 when pioneer conditions yet prevailed and most of the land was wild prairie. He was one of the early doctors in the vicinity and a descendant of an old English family, members of which had made their home in this section for over a century. Minnie, a sister of our subject, is the wife of Ina G. Hedrick, who makes his home in Green township. More extended mention is made of Mr. and Mrs. Hedrick on another page of this work.
Homer J. Kesler was reared under the parental roof and attended the public schools near his father's farm in the acquirement of his education, subsequently taking a course at the Chillicothe Normal School, which institution he left at the age of twenty-one years. Since that time he has remained on the home farm where he engages in mixed farming and also quite extensively in stock-raising. Following progressive methods and being industrious and energetic, he has succeeded in making his farm, which is one of the largest in extent in the county, also one of the most valuable therein. He and his father made all of the improvements and erected a number of buildings of the most modern type and style to suit their requirements. Our subject also introduced all such equipment and machinery as is considered essential to intensified farming and thereby has greatly enhanced the productivity of his land and increased the value of his property.
On October 15, 1908, Mr. Kesler was united in marriage at Hickory, Missouri, to Miss Alice Laird, a daughter of S. H. and Mary A. (Robertson) Laird, the former a pioneer settler of Grundy and a veteran of the Civil war. Mrs. Laird passed away and found burial in the Bratton cemetery, while her husband now lives retired at Hickory, Missouri, where he is greatly respected and highly esteemed for his many good qualities of heart and mind.
Mr. Kesler in his political affiliations is a democrat and although his extensive interests have prevented him from aspiring to public office he takes an intelligent interest in all issues of the day and especially in public matters affecting this section. Aside from his large farming interests he is an important factor in the financial life of Jamesport, Missouri, serving as a director of the Commercial Bank of that place. His fraternal relations are with the Masons and the Odd Fellows, being a member of the blue lodge of the former body. Industrious. energetic, aggressive, Mr. Kesler has not only attained individual success but has been constructive in developing agricultural standards of worth and merit which have generally benefited Livingston county. A forceful element in the community, he is entitled to a great deal of credit for the development and advancement that have here taken place.