|Other People | Frank J. Bradley | Olive Rambo Cook | Jerry Litton ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 2. Biographies
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
W. H. Jackson is one of the honored veterans of the Civil war and a pioneer settler in Livingston county, dating his residence here from 1866. He now owns and operates a fine farm of three hundred and sixty acres on section 28, Jackson township, and in addition to carrying on the work of the fields is engaged to some extent in stock-raising. He was born in Laurel county, Kentucky, November 24, 1845, a son of Humphrey and Adeline (Parl) Jackson, the former a well known farmer in Kentucky. The family is of English origin but has been in America since pre-Revolutionary times. The father of our subject joined the republican party upon its organization and from that time until his death gave stalwart support to its principles and doctrines. He served as justice of the peace for twenty years and otherwise influentially connected with public life. He passed away in 1864 and was survived by his wife for some years, both being buried in the family cemetery in Laurel county.
W. H. Jackson acquired his education in the public schools of his native section and at the age of eighteen laid aside his books in order to enlist for service in the Civil war. He joined the Fourth Kentucky Mounted Infantry and fought in many hotly-contested battles, coming at the close of hostilities with a creditable military record to Livingston county, where he has since remained. He made his home in Jackson township, hiring out as a farm laborer until after his marriage, when he purchased his first twenty acres of land. By hard work, strict economy and untiring perseverance he was able to increase his holdings from time to time until they now aggregate three hundred and sixty acres of land. It lies on section 28, Jack son township, and is improved with a comfortable residence, good barns and outbuildings and modern, labor-saving machinery. In addition to general farming Mr. Jackson engages to a great extent in stock-raising and has made both branches of his work important and profitable.
On the 5th of November, 1868, Mr. Jackson was married on his present farm to Miss Catherine Kessler, a daughter of Christian B. and Mary A. (Smith) Kessler, the former a pioneer farmer in Livingston county. Both have passed away and are buried in the Kessler cemetery, named in honor of members of their family. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are the parents of four children: Christian, a farmer in Wallowa, Oregon; John, who is operating a farm adjoining that of his father; D. C., who assists his father and also farms for himself; and Walter, who is conducting a business college.
Mr. Jackson is a member of the Christian church, and for years gave his political allegiance to the republican party, severing his connection with it in 1912 to join the ranks of the progressives. He has been a resident of Livingston county for forty-seven years and during this period has witnessed much of the growth and development of this district. The success he now enjoys is well merited, for he has ever followed the most honorable business methods in his dealings with his fellowmen and therefore has gained the high regard of all with whom he is brought into contact.