|Other People | Frank J. Bradley | Olive Rambo Cook | Jerry Litton ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 2. Biographies
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
John J. Griffith, extensively engaged in farming and stock-raising in Livingston county, is the owner of two hundred and forty acres of valuable land on section 16, Blue Mound township, and the neat and attractive appearance of the place is visible evidence of his life of industry and thrift. He was born in The Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire, Wales, January 9, 1867, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Jones) Griffith, both representatives of old Welsh families. The father was for many years an insurance agent and was engaged in this line of work at the time of his death, which occurred in 1902. He is buried in The Llanidloes cemetery but his wife still survives, making her home at Van Mines, Wales.
In the acquirement of an education John J. Griffith attended the district schools in his native section of Wales and later entered a college, an institution which he left at the age of eighteen. After laying aside his books he spent some time in business with his father and their partnership continued until Mr. Griffith of this review came to America. After landing in the eastern states he pushed westward to Missouri, locating in Livingston county in the fall of 1888. He obtained a position as salesman in the hardware store conducted by Stewart & Hargrave and from there went to Dawn, where he was employed in the same capacity in a general store. He held this position for ten years but was finally compelled by his failing health to seek an outdoor life and accordingly he took up farming. He bought forty acres of land near Dawn and was successful in its development for some time, selling it finally in order to purchase his present property on section 16, range 17, Blue Mound township. Upon this he has made substantial improvements from time to time, remodeling the residence and erecting a silo, barns and the necessary outbuildings. In addition to general farming he raises high-grade stock, keeping seventy-five head of cattle, fifteen horses and one hundred and forty head of swine. He operates extensively along this line and has met with a gratifying and well deserved measure of success.
Mr. Griffith was married in Dawn, September 8, 1890, to Miss Mary Hughes, a daughter of Rev. H. X. and Catherine (Williams) Hughes, the former a minister of the Welsh Methodist church. Mr. and Mrs. Griffith have three sons: Everett, a student at the Kidder Academy; and Howell and Robert, who are attending the district school. Mr. Griffith is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America and is a devout adherent of the Congregational church, of which he has been secretary for the past twelve years. In his political views he is progressive and has served ably and well as township collector for six years. He deserves great credit for what he has accomplished in his business career, for he started out in life empty-handed and by steady perseverance and unremitting labor has worked his way upward to success. In business life he is well known for his alert and enterprising spirit, and his salient qualities and characteristics are such as win an honorable prosperity.