|Other People | Frank J. Bradley | Olive Rambo Cook | Jerry Litton ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 2. Biographies
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
Millard C. Gregg, a well known and representative agriculturist of Medicine township, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres on section 28, was born in Shelby county, Illinois, September 3, 1870. He is a son of George W. and Mary (Westcott) Gregg, the former a veteran of the Civil war and for many years prominent and well known in Laredo, Missouri, where his death occurred in 1910.
Millard C. Gregg acquired his education in the public schools of Illinois. laying aside his books at the age of eighteen. He afterward assisted his father with the work of the farm for about four years and then worked for three years as a farm laborer. At the end of that time he rented land and carried on general agricultural pursuits in this way for eight years. He then left Illinois and came to Missouri; buying a farm in Linn county which he operated for about five years, after which he came to Livingston county, where he has since resided. He purchased one hundred and twenty acres on Section 28. township 59, range 22, in Medicine township, and with characteristic energy has carried forward the work of development. having now about seventy acres under cultivation. He engages in mixed farming and is also interested in stock-raising, keeping twelve horses, five head of cattle, sixty swine and about fifty sheep. He has always been strictly up-to-date in his farming, has made use of modern implements and scientific methods and in this way has gained success.
In Grundy county, Missouri, on February 13, 1900, Mr. Gregg was united in marriage to Mrs. Comora Schumacher. a daughter of Eli and Ellen (Sallee) Boudro, the former of whom died in 1895. His widow survives him and makes her home with the subject of this review. Mr. and Mrs. Gregg have two children, Tressie and Ethel. Mrs. Gregg also has a daughter, Gladys Schumacher, by her former marriage.
Mr. Gregg is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and his fraternal connections are with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has for two years been a school director. His success has been by no means the result of fortunate circumstances; it has come to him through energy, labor and perseverance directed by business ability and has been so worthily used that no man in the township is held in higher regard than Mr. Gregg.