|Other County Histories | Civil War | 1886 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 1. History
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
The Chillicothe Ice & Fuel Company's plant was erected in 1909 with a capital stock of $35,000. The plant has a capacity of twenty-five tons of ice every twenty-four hours. The officers of the company are C. H. Hackney, president; W. Turner, vice-president; L., P. Coblentz, secretary; W. J. Wiley, manager and treasurer. Directors: R. L. Isherwood, I.M. Timbrook, W. J. Wiley, C. H. Hackney, W. Turner and J. J. Turner.
The Chillicothe Iron Company, incorporated, is one of the successful and prosperous young manufacturing plants of Livingston county. The buildings were erected on tile site of the Frank Way foundry and machine shop and the machinery and equipment are up to date. The company was incorporated September 1, 1911, and is capitalized at $8,000. The officers are men of push and enterprise. C. T. Botsford, president; F. B. Wheeler, vice-president; R. L. Rawlins, secretary, and W. H. Ellett, treasurer. The company gives employment to from ten to fourteen men. The capacity of the foundry is one hundred tons per annum. The machine shop is equipped with electric driven motor machinery with all metal working tools necessary to complete almost any machine job. The main building of the plant is a new and substantial brick structure 58X120 feet and the warehouse 30X112 feet. The company manufacture emery stands, portable cranes, combination rip-saw, planer machines, sash weights, post mauls, municipal castings, sled runners, etc. They also carry a full line of brass goods, belting, packing, engine supplies, etc.
The Crow Cigar Company was established in Chillicothe in 1879 by Messrs. Ball and Michaels, incorporated in 1893 by F. R. Ball, Andy White and W. B. Leach. The present capitalization is $4,000. The cigar factory is District No. 100; the smoking tobacco factory No. 49. The present officers of the company are J. R. Wilson, president; W. D. Wilson, secretary, under whose management the factory has been operated since 1902. The annual output of the factory is one-half million cigars and one and one-half tons of cigar clipping smoking tobacco. The factory gives employment to twenty-five hands who are paid $11,000 annually. The products of the Crow Cigar Company reaches a territory one hundred miles east, west, north and south of Chillicothe.
The P. E. Burgy Cigar Factory of Chillicothe was established in the year 1903. The district number of the factory is 96. Four cigar makers find employment here. The output of the factory, which supplies the local merchants exclusively, amounts to 128,000 cigars annually, valued at $4,500.
The W. H. Booth & Company's Cigar Company of Chillicothe was organized in 1893. The district number of the factory is 26. The factory gives employment to four men, They manufacture exclusively for the local trade, their annual output being approximately 130,000 cigars, the gross value being about $5,000.
Brownfield Bros. Ice Cream and Candy Factory. - The firm of Brownfield Brothers, manufacturers and wholesalers confectionery and ice cream and jobbers of chewing gum and cigars, was established some twenty years ago in a store building on North Washington street. Later the firm purchased the three buildings on West Jackson street which they now occupy and remodeled them into a factory, store-room and offices. Their trade zone extends in all directions within a radius of 100 miles of Chillicothe and a force of twenty people is necessary to manufacture and prepare the goods for shipment. Both the members of the firm are hustling young men full of twentieth century push and enterprise and are alive to the possibilities of the city as a manufacturing center.
The M. B. Hamilton & Co., Glove and Mitten Factory, Chillicothe. - This is a branch of the glove and mitten factory of Leavenworth, Kansas, established in Chillicothe in 1912. The factory is located on South Elm street and fifty or more people are given employment.
The J. E. Andrew Broom Factory, Chillicothe. - This factory was established in Chillicothe a quarter of a century ago. The factory gives employment to a number of men and their products find a ready market throughout North Missouri.
The Jenkins Hay Rake and Stacker Factory, Chillicothe, Marion R. Jenkins, proprietor, is the largest and most extensive manufacturing plant in the county. The plant was established in Chillicothe several years ago, coming here from Browning, Missouri. The factory and foundry combined cover several acres and their products, amounting to many carloads annually, find a ready market in the central and western states. From seventy-five to a hundred men are given employment in the factory.
Milbank's Flouring Mill. - The City Mill was built in 1867 by George Milbank, who at that time also owned a small mill at Troy, Illinois; his limited means only permitted him to start in a small way by installing two run of stone and three bolts; as his business grew and prospered this number was increased to five run of buhrs, and the necessary bolting machinery. As the improved methods developed, among which the purification of middlings were adoped, using a purifier of his own invention, the products of the mill were always of the highest quality. In later years the roller process of milling proved itself superior to the buhr or stone system for making flour, and in the year 1883 the mill was remodeled to the roller process, and the capacity increased to 150 barrels per day. In that year Mr. Milbank wishing to retire from active business sold the mill to his sons, John T. and H. S. Milbank, who remodeled the mill again in 1905, installing the latest system of bolting by means of the swing sifter, so that the mill has always been kept up to the highest state of efficiency. In 1911 H. S. Milbank sold his interest in the mill to John T. Milbank, who is now the sole owner of the property. Previous to the building of this mill in 1867 there was very little wheat grown in this county, as there was no ready market for it, but after the mill was built and started it made a market for wheat at all times for cash, which encouraged the growth of same, so that at the present time Livingston county ranks among the largest wheat growing counties of Missouri.