|Other County Histories | Civil War | 1886 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 1. History
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
Lying south of the west branch of Grand river is township 57, range 25, and together with fractional parts of sections 31 and 32 in 58-25 comprise the township of Mooresville. Some of the best farms in Livingston county are found in the south central and southeast portions, while the northern section of the township adjacent to Grand river is considerably broken, but heavily timbered. Limestone is found in abundance in the broken and hilly section of the county. Bituminous coal of an excellent quality is also found in this township, an extended report of which may be found in the geological department of this work. The first settlements were made in 1833 and among the early pioneers were the Hudginses, Tomlins, Woolseys, McCoskries and their descendants. Among the later comers were the Fisks, Manns, Fields, Lawsons, Gregorys, Bryans, Barlows, Meads, Taylors, Gobins, Permans, Fryers, Lydas, Trotters, Guills, and many others, including Nehemiah Comstock and his brother Hiram, the former having led a company of volunteers against the Mormons referred to elsewhere.
This township was made a municipal organization by the county court December 18, 1866, in compliance with a petition presented by W. H. Gaunt, Adam Lydick and many others, being formed out of Monroe and Greene townships and was named Mooresville for the village of the same name.