|Other County Histories | Civil War | 1886 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 1. History
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
Monroe township comprises all of Congressional township 56, range 25, except a part of section 24, and lies in the southwest corner of the county. Shoal creek and its tributaries, Rattlesnake and Muddy, furnish plenty of water, and good soil and fine grass lands to combine to make it an excellent stock growing township. "The Low Gap Country," as it is now called, can not be excelled for general excellence in this part of the state.
Monroe township was one of the first settled in the county. On the night of the 12th of November, 1833, memorable as the date of the great meteoric shower, or as "the time when the stars fell," John Austin, James Austin, Abraham Bland, Zachariah Bland, Purmort Bland, Zachariah Lee and Isaac McCoskrie camped on Shoal creek, and afterward entered land in this township. Thos. Bryan came about this time, as did Spencer H. Gregory.
The country along Shoal creek greatly pleased the pioneers. Game was abundant, the soil was rich, the water plenty and pure, and the woods were full of bee trees.
As soon as land came in market in 1835, it began to be entered, and the following made entries up to the year 1840: Spencer H. Gregory, Wiatt Ogle, Wm. Fryer, Thos. R. Bryan, James Austin, John Austin, Abraham Bland, Purmort Bland, Isaac McCoskrie, Roberson Bryan, Hopkins Work, James Earl, James Hamilton, Oliver Walker, Henderson McFarland, Zachariah Lee, Henry Hoagland, L. A. Brady, David Fulmer, Zachariah Bland, W. P. Frazier, John Lewis, Mann, Whitney & Baker, Jesse Coats, James Huntsman, W. P. and Emily Frazer, John T. Gudgell, John Bland and Win. Taylor.
Upon the organization of the county and the first meeting of the county court in February, 1837, the territory now included in Blue Mound, Greene, Mooresville and Monroe townships, was called Shoal creek township; but in February, 1839, the name was changed to Monroe. In May following the township was divided, and the northern part called Greene. In 1833 Blue Mound was organized, and the creation of these townships cut down Monroe, to about its present size.
Monroe township was developed about the year 1860. A few years prior to that time a number of northern people came in and by their industry and enterprise did much for the general welfare. When the war came on a majority of the people were Unionists and early entered the Federal service.
A young man of Confederate sympathies named Crockett Austin was killed in this township by some of the militia in 1862. The Federals called at the house one night, and when he came out of doors he stumbled and fell, and it is said before he could rise that he was shot. Some of the militia reported that Austin came out armed and threatened to shoot, and this was why he himself was shot.
After the war, in common with other parts of the country, Monroe township improved rapidly and grew thrifty. The houses were rebuilt and made larger and better, and the farms were generally improved. With the building of the St. Paul, Railroad, which runs diagonally through the township, from northeast to southwest the prosperity of the township was assured.
Of the churches in Monroe township, Rev. John Boon is pastor of the Methodist church in the village of Ludlow; Rev. Cornelius, pastor of the Baptist church, with J. A. Hare, W. C. Hunt and Byrd Jones, deacons. The Christian church, of Ludlow, has no regular pastor. The deacons are Wiley Miller, W. F. Holchett and George Lenhart. The Bethany Baptist church, the Union Baptist church and the Bethel M. E. church, South, all in Monroe township, have no regular pastors.
A. F. & A. M., Lodge No. 539, Ludlow. - William Maack, worshipful master; A. J. Riedel, Sr. W.; Jo Dusenberry, Jr. W.
Eastern Star No. 108, Ludlow.- Mrs. Murray, W. M.; Scott Miller, W. P.; Cora Dusenberry, A. M.; Ada Yohns, secretary; Lena Johnson, conductress; Carrie Wells, associate; Eva Barton, organist.
I. 0. 0. F., No. 569, Ludlow - William Sturwoldt, N. G.; Purse Copple, V. G.; J. D. Wells, secretary.
Rebecca Lodge No. 311, Ludlow. - Mrs. Dean, N. G.; Mary Busby, V. G.; Carrie Wells, secretary; Mrs. Jo Dusenberry, P. G, and president of the District Assembly.
Woodmen Lodge No. 3027, Ludlow. - A. J. Riedel, V. C.; Wm. Roath, W. A.; William Maack, secretary.