|Other County Histories | Civil War | 1886 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 1. History
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
In other portions of this history Jackson township is referred to at considerable length. Until 1839, after many pioneers had located there, the township was known by the name of Indian Creek. The townships of Jackson and Sampsell were, in an early day, closely allied and at the present day are almost as closely related as "twin sisters." Jackson township, on account of an abundance of timber, wild game and bees, together with numerous springs of pure water, first attracted the early pioneers to that part of the county. The township was first settled by Kentuckians, a hospitable, honest class of people and their offspring are in a majority of the residents of the township today. When reference is made to the "forks of the river," it is generally understood that the territory referred to is Jackson township. The first settlers, whose names are given elsewhere in this volume, made settlement in Jackson township in the year 1833. The territory settled up rapidly, but like other sections, the land was not open for entry until some years later. Only a few of the names of early settlers are here given: B. F. Baker, Reuben McCoskrie, David Martin, Jesse Nave, David Girdner, Win. Curtis, Nova Zembla Johnson, Alex. Dockery, W. C. Davis E. S. Andrews, R. C. Campbell, Peter Cain, Samuel V. Ramsey, Hugh S. Welch, Moses Masters, Green S. Reeves, John D. Martin, John Kirk, John Hargrave, Wm. Finley, Stephen Shrive, T. A. Harbut, S. W. Anderson, Rice Ware, Geo. MeCoy, John B. Hines, Wyatt Ogle, John Doss, James Leeper, Andrew Liggett, Isham Ware, Nathan Cox, Wm. S. Miller, and W. L. Black.
was organized in February, 1868, in the Brassfield schoolhouse. Elder James Turner was chosen moderator and G. M. Brassfield, clerk. The articles of faith were then signed by John F. Gillispie, Robert Foster, Ephraim Foster, John Weaver, Thomas L. Gillispie, Adam Brassfield, Milton Hughes, James B. McClellan, Riley Brassfield, Mary Gillispie, Elizabeth Foster, Delia Weaver, Catherine Gillispie, Mahulda McClellan, Malinda Weatherford, Marv A. Brassfield, Eliazbeth Seidel, Mahala A. Pond, Jane Hughes, Rachael Brassfield and Mary Caddell. Rev. James Turner was elected the first pastor and served three years. Rev. Turner was succeeded by Rev. P. Booth who served during 1872. Rev. Turner was recalled for 1873, 1874. and 1875. The place of worship was then changed to the Potter schoolhouse. In January, 1876 Rev. John Harmon was elected pastor and remained until 1877. He was followed by Rev. Wadley for a period of five months. In 1876 a building committee consisting of J. M. Irwin, J. W. Webster, John H. Matthews and E. R. Dowell, solicited funds and a church edifice was erected one and one-half miles east of Springhill. It is the largest house of worship in the county. The pastors who have served the congregation to date are Revs. N. M. Allen, John Harmon, F. P. Bain and W. W. Gillispie. Both church and Sunday school have large and growing memberships.
Springhill Camp No. 5491, M. W. A., was organized April 18, 1898, with the following charter members: Wm. A. Anderson, John F. Arnel, Chas. Cooper, Wm. Girdner, Oscar Hicks, Roy Lewis, Daniel McCarthy, James Sanson, Wm. Sneeden, J. E. Williams, W. H. Anderson, J. P. Arr, J. W. Davis, S. H. Harvey, H. P. Lewis, Chas. W. Patton, Chas. M. Piper, John Shaffer and J. O. Whitworth. Officers for 1913 are: Andy Prager, V. C., Alva Mast, advisor; Frank Shaffer, banker; A. E. Meserve, clerk; Joe Lamp, escort; James Wilburn, watchman; Wm. F. Volk, sentry; Dr. W. L. White, physician.