|Other County Histories | Civil War | 1886 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 1. History
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
This township comprises an area of 24,000 acres and includes that portion of Congressional township 57, range 24, with the west fork of Grand river on the north and Shoal creek on the south and a line of sections in 57-25, south of the west fork of the river. Much of the township is bottom land and bluffs and hills are found adjacent to the river. The prairie or uplands are excellent farm lands, the soil being adapted to the cultivation of diversified crops. No township in the county is better adapted to fruit culture and in average seasons train loads of apples, pears, peaches and other fruits are shipped to the eastern and central markets. Gradually the bottom lands are being brought into cultivation by drainage and other modern means. A very complete description of the geology of the township is given in another part of this work. The names of the early pioneers of this portion of the county are also given in this volume. The town of Utica was laid out in 1837, the land having been entered by Matson and Van Zandt, the year previous. The town flourished when the H. & St. Joe road was built and continued to thrive until the Civil war. When the road was built the company erected a depot one mile west of town. This made the citizens indignant, they soaped the rails and later the depot building was burned. Another building was erected and it too suffered the fate of the first. Although very inconvenient the third structure was permitted to remain. "P. S." - Friday night, April 4, 1913, the third depot building was destroyed by fire of unknown origin, although it is believed by the night operator that the conflagration was started by a spark from a passing engine that lodged near the semaphore.
Forest Home Camp No. 2270, Royal Neighbors of America, of Utica, was organized August 4th, 1900, at which time the following officers were elected: Julia Smith, oracle; Emma Sherman, vice-oracle; Lizzie Myers, chancellor; Myrtle Blue, marshall; Anna Walz, recorder; Mary Wamble, receiver. Present officers: Alice Walz, oracle; Anna Walz, vice-oracle; Josephine Smith, past-oracle; Lillie ___, chancellor; May Dome, marshall; Lizzie Myers, recorder; Ella Lemons, receiver. The camp meets the first and third Saturday nights in each month.
Benevolence Lodge No. 170, A. F. & A. M., Utica.---- This lodge was organized May 30, 1857, with John H. Harper as worshipful master; A. J. Austin, junior warden; and William Hiron, senior warden. The present officers are: C. H. Stone, worshipful master; W. T. Stone, junior warden; George Simves, senior warden; and P. E. Bagley, secretary. The lodge has 36 members and own their own building.
Utica Council No. 984, Knights and Ladies of Security, was organized February 1st,1902, by W. C. Orme, state deputy of Maryville, Missouri, assisted by the officers of Charm Council No. 658 of Chillicothe, Missouri. Twenty beneficiary and seven social members were initiated. The first officers were: George Header, president; Oral B. Lemon, vice-president; Lizzie Myers, second vice-president; Elizabeth A. Young, prelate; Edith Edna Townsend, Cor. secretary; Dr. J. H. Winter, financial secretary; Frank E. Lemon, treasurer; William White, conductor; and Ray R. McCloughan, sentinel. Trustees: Michael Lemon, Jas. Hall and Albert J. Myers. The present officers are: Lizzie Myers, president; Emily B. Myers, vice-president; Cora B. Falconer, second vice-president; Lucy A. Lemon, financier; Phoebe Cooper, secretary; Dr. H. A. Cox, prelate; Sopha E. Smith, conductor; Ralph B. Cooper, guard; and Joe Kerr, sentinel.