|Other County Histories | Civil War | 1886 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression ||
Past and Present of Livingston County
Volume 1. History
by Major A. J. Roof. 1913
This township includes portions of ranges 23 and 24, lying between Grand river and Medicine township and the line between townships 58 and 59. On the western boundary flows Grand river, on the east Honey creek and small branches tributary as well as Medicine creek Honey creek empties into Grand river near the southwest corner of the township. In 1838, perhaps the first settler was Francis Preston, who located on Crooked creek in February, on 19-59-23. In 1839 Josiah Austin settled a short distance north of Preston, while Gabriel May and Solomon Hooker located in the township and near Preston in 1840. Like the land in Medicine township, it was not in the market for entry until 1840, and many entries were made in that year. Some of the early settlers were S. T. Crews, C. H. Ashby, M. F. Treadway, Joseph Hughes, Richard Dicken, Lyman Dayton, Willis Atkinson, Elizabeth Crawford and James Leeper. George P. Pullian and Margaret Preston, daughter of the first settler mentioned, was the first matrimonial venture in the township. A slave woman named Susan, the property of Preston, was the first person to die in the township. The organization of the township bears date May 13, 1857, Thomas Crooks and others being petitioners. Farmersville, nine miles north of Chillicothe on the road to Trenton, is in this township. A good school, several churches and lodge organizations are found in the village.