Other County Histories | Civil War | 1886 | 1913 Vol. 1 | 1916 | Depression | 100 Years |
Livingston County History
Celebrating 150 Years, 1821-1981

Published by The Retired Senior Volunteer Program
reprinted by permission

Table of Contents

Previous Chapter

Next Chapter




During the 1976 Bi-centennial year Mr. Leo Hopper, Mrs. Elizabeth Ellsberry and Mrs. Mildred Sue Jones did a research of the cemeteries in Livingston County publishing and recording their data. The history prepared by Mr. Hopper appeared in four issues of the Constitution Tribune - January 2, March 12, May 7 and July 2, 1976. The records from Elizabeth Elsberry’s research are available in the genealogy section at the Livingston County Memorial Library. Mildred Sue Jones prepared a large map of the county pinpointing each cemetery and it is on display at the library.

For this publication, Mrs. Tom Oliver has endeavored to put some of their information into graphic form in order to delineate the name, location and present condition of each cemetery. Extra information was supplied by Mr. Frank Bonderer, a long time resident of the county. It included the names of the cemeteries where every Memorial Day an American flag is placed on the grave of a war veteran by the Vern R. Glick Post 25 of the American Legion Organization.

This information is also shown on the key and many people throughout the county perform this service each year.

It is gratifying to note the large number of cemeteries that are maintained and well kept. Money for this purpose is gained by some associations who have set up a perpetual trust fund and use the interest to pay for the care, others secure funds from private contributions and still others are cared for by interested parties with no charge. Whatever the means the well-cared for cemetery reflects the love and respect for those early residents of our communities who have helped to build the heritage of our county.

– Margaret Oliver


* decorated by American Legion No. location

F. fenced

M. maintained

1. Loney-Masters unkept

2. Coy-Brummett F. M.

3. Wall F. neglected

4. Davis F.M.

5. Davidson-Bethel unkept

6. Rossen F.

7. Dennis

8. Kirk Williams

9. Ramsey

10. Long, F.M.

11. Kenedy

12. Kesler no M.

13. Hicklin F. no M.

14. Boyle F. Limited M.

15. Hicks neglected

16. Brassfield well kept

17. Springhill M.

18. Bills

19. Mt Pleasant FM.

20. Ware

21. Pleasant Ridge FM.

22. Gibbons.

23. Mt. Olive F.M.

24. Venable

25. Tiberghein F limited M.

26. Anderson-Smith F M.

27. Resthaven F.M.

28. Hutchinsons F.M.

29. Forrest Park FM.

30. Edgewood F M.

30. Mt. Sinai F M.

31. Gaunt F no M.

32. Shady Grove F. unkept

33. Rucker F no M.

34. Mooresville F M

35. Mooresville Christian M.

36. Kirtley F no M.

37. Mumpower

38. Shannon Compton

39. Utica F. M.

40. Toner F no M.

41. Bethel M.

42. McCroskie F M.

43. Gregory (Lawson) unkept

44. Christison F. M.

45. Anderson Pritchfield

47. Jarvis

48. Welsh F M.

49. Collar FM.

50. Blackburn

51. Gibbs no M.

52. Monroe F M.

53. Van Horn F M.

54. Ward F. M.

55. Plainview F M.

56. Wallace F M.

57. May F.M.

58. Ricket F. M.

59. Leopolis F M.

60. Ross F partly M.

61. Slagle partly F M.

62. Catholic F M.

63. North F.

64. Jones F M.

65. Wheeling F M.

66. South F M.

67. Burnside F limited M.

68. Monroe limited care

69. Bedford F.M.

70. Matthews (destroyed)

71. Woltski/ no care

72. Silvey unkept

73. Avalon M.

74. Walden unkept

75. Ireland

76. Macedonia F. M.

77. Lily Grove FM.

78. Black F limited M.

79. Curtis FM.

80. Stone F limited M.

81. Blue Mound F.M.


83. Arkadelphia F M.

84. Fairland F.M.

85. Mayberry no care

86. Guthridge

87. Perry F M.

88. Snidow FM.

89. Cameron F. M.

90. Leaton FM.

91. Deupree

92. Dockery


Since the date of its inception by Henry Nay in 1866, the Wheeling cemetery has expanded in acreage from approximately one and one-half acres to the present 8 and six-tenths. The parcel of land given by Mr. Nay is located in the south and west part of the southwest one-fourth of Section 5, Township 57, Range 22.

For many years there was no official cemetery organization and there was no regular caretaker, the work at the cemetery, entailing the digging and filling of graves, was done by volunteers. Walter Scott was hired as the first regular caretaker. Logan Littrell, deceased, served the longest period of time, 17 years, caretaker, in that capacity. The present caretakers are the John & Lucretia Harper family.

Early in the 1890’s an association was formed, with Mrs. Minniq Wiley, president; Mrs. Sylvia F. Haynes, trbasurer; and Mrs. Nannie Wright, secretary. During thiair-administration, an acre of land, lying west and north of the first parcel, was purchased March 6, 1895, from Francis and Mattle Nay for the sum of $115.00.

Seven years later, April 1, 1902, a little more than an acre was purchased from Emma Littrell for the sum of $75.00. It lies west of the first two parcels.

Twenty-three years later, on May 2, 1925, approximately one acre was purchased from Albert and Mattie Norman for $310.00. It was west of the other two parcels mentioned.

The fifth parcel of land was purchased July 11, 1944, from J. D. and Lena Rice, consisting of two acres, for the sum of $550.00. This land lies west of the others.

In late 1979 six more acres of land was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Harold Warren for $1,000.00 an acre. The Warren’s also gave land to widen the road on the north side of the cemetery.

Funds for the upkeep of the cemetery in the early years were raised mostly from community dinner proceeds given at regular intervals. Later, Memorial Day programs given at the cemetery have drawn many 60 people, who have contributed money to the gatekeepers stationed there for the occasion.

The cemetery association was incorporated in 1941, largely through the efforts of F. L. Smiley and H. J. Barnes, now deceased. This gave it the legal right to accept money for a trust fund or to use for future upkeep. To raise needed funds, a bond program was started: persons would buy $37.50 bonds for the association, which in 11 years, were worth $50.00; and it was voted to place one-half the price of lots sold into a fund, which practice continued until more land was purchased in 1955.

At a called meeting on August 13, 1955, those present voted to buy 88 acres adjoining on the west and north belonging to J. D. and Lena Rice for $15,400.00. The $5,000.00 down payment was met with the maturing bonds with a note given for the remaining $10,400.00.

In 1949 the Board purchased a power mower for $125.00. In the Spring, 1962, it was voted to pay off the remaining indebtedness. The obligations were met and the cemetery has been kept in excellent condition.

In the oldest part of the cemetery, lots consist of eight graves each and records show that some of these earliest lots were sold for as little as $5.00 each. In the newer section, lots consist of five graves each, ranging in price from $100.00 down.

Current officers Are:

President - Austin Biggerstaff

Vice President - Ernest Littrell

Treasurer - Dorothy Smiley

Secretary - Mabel Narr

Executive Board:

Chairman - Melvin Littrell, Wayne Seifert, Lucian Walkup, Kenneth Corzette

The cemetery has grown “from log-cabin days to seeing foot prints on the moon from our living rooms,” this statement was made by David Biggerstaff at a Memorial Day Service recently. There are 31 rows of lots north and south all being used, mowed, and cared for. The new addition of 443 lots opened up and marked off in 1979 and early 1980’s at the west end of the cemetery are also beginning to be well cared for. In 1979 three oak trees were set for a shaded rest area. The Baxters and Dudgeons have put in most of our gravelled roads through the cemetery.

The cemetery’s well-kept appearance, its beautiful, easily accessible location, and its unique assurance of adequate financial support for its upkeep in the years to come, make it a source of pride and consolation to those it serves.

-- Lucian Walkup

Table of Contents

Previous Chapter

Next Chapter